Problems with Debugging

liunx

I am new to VB.NET and I'm creating a simple project that I can pull up in IE most of the time and displays correct.

The problem is if I go to debug on VB.NET my computer freezes and nothing works but shutting it off. cntrl+alt+del does not even work. I can attach a process to debug and that works fine. I cannot start without debugging and attach because it freezes while Download ing to IE.

Sometimes it will freeze when I just type in the URL in IE. I've checked everything I could think of including Internet Options - Advanced; IIS ASP debug is enabled. Web.Config file is ok and set for debugging.

The strange thing is I got it to work a few times just pulling it up on IE and the code is fine. Slow but it works.

Could someone please give me a clue as to what I need to do. I did get an error message that told me symbols were not detected when I debugged an external process, I just clicked debug anyway and it worked. Viewing the form file in a browser in VB.NET gives me trouble too. It will work sometimes and freeze others.

I'm not using extremely complicated coding (I'm just learning). I enabled everything in Internet Options. I'm at a loss. Please Help....

Thanks so much in advance.Have you tried creating a new web project and seeing if a simple page locks up? Do you have a slow computer? It is possible to create an infinite loop which could last until the process is killed. These infinite loops can take up nearly all of the processors cycles.I'm not using loops, just simple functions some with "if else if" that work in a browser. I've created a few different projects and seem to have the problem with the debugger with all of them. They all come up ok in a browswer until recently. Now my browswer will freeze occassionaly. Also, like I said, I have gotten the debugger to work a couple of times. It always works when I attach it to be debugged from IE.

Could my processor have something to do with it? I don't have a pentium, I have a celeron. Does that make a difference? 1.7 GHz and 256 MB of Ram. Could it be that my computer cannot handle it?

I'm using XP Pro upgrade from the home edition.

Thanks for the help. I really do appreciate it. I've been working on this for weeks now. I'm in school and have been handing in the sites and got perfect scores. I know I'm missing a lot by not being able to debug. I feel like I could be using a text editor the way I'm using VB.NET.

Thanks again.Your computer is fine and is not likely the problem.

I did some Googleing and here are some things that I found that you should try.

1. If you have a Firewall installed on your box, particularily Zone Alarm, try completely shutting it down and then try debug.

2. This is another very possible reason. Check your services and make sure that Machine Debug Manager is enabled and running. If you don't know how to get to your services, then click the Start button and then click Run. Enter "services.msc" into the dialog and press ok. Then find the service called "Machine Debug Manager", right click on it and then left click "properties" from the context menu. Set the startup type: equal to automatic and then click start. click Ok, exit the services window and try debug. If you are anything like me, then you have probably rooted through your services and shutdown anything you thought you didn't need.

3. Lastly, if neither of the above work. Uninstally IIS and the .Net framework. Reinstall IIS first and then reinstall the .Net framework. Lets hope you don't reach this step.

Let me know if any of these worked out for you. CstickIt was my Zone Alarm. Thank you so much for your help.Cool, glad to hear it worked out for you!

Back