Problem with sending an email via php script?

dusco2k8

I've had something strange happen lately with php script I use to send emails from an online contact form and just wondered if any one could shed a little light on the issue.I've had a php script which I use on multiple websites and it has always worked fine, but for some strange reason, I tried using in on one site and it just wasn't working.I tried fiddleing with it and eventually realised that it was something to do with the following section of code:this is the original section of code that usually works fine, but wasn't working for some reason:\[code\]$to = 'My Name <[email protected]>';\[/code\]I then removed the name bit, so that the code looked like this:\[code\]$to = '[email protected]';\[/code\]and now it sends the email through ok.As I say, the top code usually works fine, so any ideas why this time I had to alter the code to get it to work?Any possible explanations would be great :o)Here's the full code:\[code\]<?phprequire("is_email.php"); // email validation function//Retrieve form data. //GET - user submitted data using AJAX //POST - in case user does not support javascript, we'll use POST instead $name = ($_GET['name']) ?$_GET['name'] : $_POST['name']; $email = ($_GET['email']) ?$_GET['email'] : $_POST['email']; $telephone = ($_GET['telephone']) ?$_GET['telephone'] : $_POST['telephone'];$address = ($_GET['address']) ?$_GET['address'] : $_POST['address'];$enquiry = ($_GET['enquiry']) ?$_GET['enquiry'] : $_POST['enquiry'];$calculation = ($_GET['calculation']) ?$_GET['calculation'] : $_POST['calculation']; //flag to indicate which method it uses. If POST set it to 1 if ($_POST) $post=1;//Server side validation for POST dataif (!$name) $errors[count($errors)] = 'Please click back and enter your name.'; if (!$email) $errors[count($errors)] = 'Please click back and enter your email.'; else if (!is_email($email)) $errors[count($errors)] = 'Please click back as you may have entered an invalid email address.';if (!$telephone) $errors[count($errors)] = 'Please click back and enter your telephone number.';if (!$address) $errors[count($errors)] = 'Please click back and enter your address.';if (!$enquiry) $errors[count($errors)] = 'Please click back and enter your enquiry.';if ($calculation != '14') $errors[count($errors)] = 'Please click back and check you have correctly answered the simple calculation (in number format).';//if the errors array is empty, send the mail if (!$errors) { //recipient - change this to your name and email $to = '[email protected]'; //sender $from = $name . ' <' . $email . '>'; //subject and the html message $subject = 'Website Enquiry: ' . $name; $email_body = ' <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"> <head></head> <body> <table cellpadding="5" style="color:#757575;"> <tr><td style="color:#3b5998;">Name: </td><td>' . $name . '</td></tr> <tr><td style="color:#3b5998;">Email: </td><td>' . $email . '</td></tr> <tr><td style="color:#3b5998;">Telephone: </td><td>' . $telephone . '</td></tr> <tr valign="top"><td style="color:#3b5998;">Address: </td><td>' . nl2br($address) . '</td></tr> <tr valign="top"><td style="color:#3b5998;">Enquiry: </td><td>' . nl2br($enquiry) . '</td></tr> </table> </body> </html>'; //send the mail $result = sendmail($to, $subject, $email_body, $from); //if POST was used, display the message straight away if ($_POST) { if ($result) echo 'Thank you! We have received your message.<br /><br /><a href="http://stackoverflow.com/questions/enquiry_form.html">OK</a>'; else echo 'Sorry, unexpected error. Please try again later'; //else if GET was used, return the boolean value so that //ajax script can react accordingly //1 means success, 0 means failed } else { echo $result; }//if the errors array has values } else { //display the errors message for ($i=0; $i<count($errors); $i++) echo $errors[$i] . '<br />'; exit; }//Simple mail function with HTML header function sendmail($to, $subject, $email_body, $from) { $headers = "MIME-Version: 1.0" . "\r\n"; $headers .= "Content-type:text/html;charset=iso-8859-1" . "\r\n"; $headers .= 'From: ' . $from . "\r\n"; $result = mail($to,$subject,$email_body,$headers); if ($result) return 1; else return 0; } ?> \[/code\]

Back