Problem with IE 5.5

windows

Something weird is happening with IE 5.5.<br />
<br />
I have table 100% width with a background image applied to it.<br />
There is also .swf embedded in that table. When I view it with IE 5.5 the background image disappears. It works fine with all other browsers IE 6, Netscape 6.2, 7 and even 4, but not with IE 5.5.<br />
<br />
Oh, and I use Windows 2000. <br />
<br />
Can anyone advise why is that happening<br />
<br />
Thanks in advance<!--content-->What is the URL, so we can see the site?<!--content-->Giz<br />
<br />
The URL is<br />
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.polnet.biz/atic01">http://www.polnet.biz/atic01</a><!-- m --><br />
<br />
Thanks<!--content-->i guarantee you it's not going to be whatever errors the w3c validator spits out, that thing is full of crap.<br />
<br />
however... i don't have IE 5.5, so i'm going to have to use my imagination in that regard... is it the TD background ("images/bg.jpg") that is most immediate to the Flash?<br />
<br />
btw, beautiful work!<br />
<br />
also, in NS7, the DHTML dropdowns just below the Flash tend to drop UP and BEHIND the Flash. odd, and i'm not sure how that might be resolved.<!--content-->ooh, ahhhh... i just, er, realised that the page flipped... are we talking about the index page, or home.html???<!--content-->Actually, the problem occurs on both index.html and the home.html page as well. The bg on home page just behind the flash movie. <br />
<br />
Sometimes shows up for quick 1/2 sec and than is gone.<br />
<br />
I also noticed, when I get rid of the flash the bg images look fine.<br />
Could it be some conflict with Flash???<br />
<br />
Thank for looking at it<!--content-->hmmmmm... this is just a wild guess... have you tried adding <param name="wmode" value="transparent"> and wmode="transparent" to the Flash code? and is it the page background, or the table/cell background? (sorry, i'm not clear on that part.)<!--content-->It is the table/td background not the page backgroud.<br />
I didn't tried wmode ="transparent" yet. I'll tried now and see.<br />
<br />
Thanks<!--content-->Originally posted by ania <br />
It is the table/td background not the page backgroud.<br />
I didn't tried wmode ="transparent" yet. I'll tried now and see.<br />
<br />
Thanks that's really, really bizarre behavior. if the wmode thing doesn't work (and i'll bet that it doesn't), then i'd have to guess that it is some sort of bug between whatever version of Flash player you have and IE5.5... in that case, try asking the cats at flashkit.com about it... some of them are serious geniuses with Flash (i mean SCARY geniuses!), and they might have run across that before.<br />
<br />
not to brush it off or pass the buck, but i just can't find a single thing in your code that would cause that to happen, nor do i know of anything that COULD cause that to happen!<!--content-->It did fix the problem on the index page, on the following pages it's showing up for a moment and stays that way for a while, but then disappears again. Sometimes shows up when I move the mouse to that area, but it doesn't stays that way for long. Isn't that weird?<!--content-->Originally posted by ania <br />
It did fix the problem on the index page, on the following pages it's showing up for a moment and stays that way for a while, but then disappears again. Sometimes shows up when I move the mouse to that area, but it doesn't stays that way for long. Isn't that weird? WOW!! that is seriously crazy! i used 5.5 + Flash for a while, and never had that happen! must be some weird sort of bug in IE. :confused:<!--content-->Yes it is crazy. It could be a bug or maybe windows 2000 fault<!--content-->Transmothra,<br />
<br />
I almost got to the point that it looks ALMOST perfect, with your great suggestion of course.<br />
<br />
I was testing it before on a page were I have 2 .swfs movies. I made the wmode transparent to only one. After I've changed the other it workes fine.<br />
<br />
There is still some problems on pages were I have forms, but not as bad as before. The backround stays visable most of the time. I'll still play with it.<br />
<br />
Thanks again for your help. I really appreciate it. :)<br />
Ania<!--content-->no problem... that is a weird one, and i hope you can get it all straightened out somehow!<!--content-->I have been searching through forums to find any information on this... this is the only one I have found<br />
<br />
Anyway, I have the same problem and it definitely seams like some kind of bug.<br />
<br />
The problem seams to occur with the following combination:<br />
Windows 2000<br />
IE 5.5<br />
Flash 6 Plugin<br />
<br />
I haven't found any information on this yet about it being a bug or anything. Please, post to the list if you find any other data on this.<br />
<br />
Thanks!<!--content-->

Back