problem with data islands and images

admin

Administrator
Staff member
I am working on a site that uses xml data islands to provide a more flexibleuser interface. Essentially, the content for a table is sent to the browseras an xml data island and displayed doing a client-side transform so I cando things like sort the table. The table content contains up to five imagesfor each row (i.e., a view, properties & delete image for each row).Sample code:<html><head></head><xml id="xmldocData">.... some xml data ...</xml><xml id="xmldocTransform">.... some xsl data ...</xml><script language="javascript">function makeTable(){divTable.innerHTML =xmldocData.transformNode(xmldocTransform.XMLDocument);}</script><body onload="javascript: makeTable();" ><div id="divTable"></div></body></html>Everything was working great in development and testing. Then we deployedand started seeing a problem with load times at a client's site.Essentially, the images would load very slowly into the table. I think thatI have narrowed down the problem to the fact the client is using MicrosoftProxy Server to provide internet access accross a WAN. The proxy server iscaching the images instead of the client, and it seems that IE is going allthe way back to the proxy server for each instance of each image rather thanonce for each image (you can watch it downloading each one in the statusbar). Without the proxy, the images are cached locally and can be loadedimmediately. Also, if the transformation is done server-side (so thetransformed table's html is sent to the browser), each image is onlydownloaded once and the page loads normally.My question is this: Does anyone know how to coerce IE to process the pageso that it only downloads each image once when using the client-sidetransforms?--Michael ShuttPlease respond to newsgroup as I will not return direct emails.

Back