Printing special characters

On my website I had something like:<br />
Caption --> to label a picture, so I thought I would be clever and replace the '-->' with &rarr; to give a nicer arrow. However although it is fine on screen, when I came to print the page the arrow was replaced by a square, a space and an '@' which suggests to me that there is some sort of font problem. Any ideas anyone ?<!--content-->Okay...I am by no means an expert but HTML language is different from the language used by word processing programs like WordPerfect....<br />
<br />
So certain special characters probably wonb't be recognized by your printer then.<br />
<br />
I imagine there would be a way to Download <!--more--> special font or something for the printer to utilize...<!--content-->Be sure to set a charset for your HTML document.<br />
<br />
Jona<!--content-->I thought CHARSET was pretty standard setting in HTML:confused:...if not automatic....<!--content-->The charset required to use the arrow character that gizmo wants. The browser automatically has a charset set, but if you use a character that is not in that charset in the document, it will not display properly, which is why you should use a META tag to define the charset.<br />
<br />
I'm not sure if this works, because I don't commonly try to print things out; however if it does not work, there should be an at-rule for print media to specify this in CSS (possibly).<br />
<br />
Jona<!--content-->I have been using the line<br />
<META http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"> in the header. Perhaps I should try a different one.<!--content-->

Back