Printing background colours in IE???

windows

Does anyone know of a way to print text in IE where the background has been set using <span style="background-color: rgb(182,182,175)"> and the option to print background colours and images is disabled under advanced options.<br />
:confused:<!--content-->umm can't you just select all the text and right click and print????<br />
<br />
not sure what you are talking about. just hit the print button<!--content-->I want to have parts of my text with a coloured background. This could be just one character, a word, line para etc. At the moment I am using <span style="background-color: rgb(182,182,175)"> to format the text. However, if the option to print background colours and images is not enabled under advanced options you do not get the background colour on the printout.<br />
<br />
What I would like to know is there is another way to get the same result that will print the colours if the option to print background colours and images is not enabled.<!--content-->if the user has selected the option to not print colors then why would you want to override that? that is beyond html as the option is in windows on the clients machine.<!--content-->As part of a company policy the user may not be able to change any of the options with IE. I am not looking to override these settings (although if anyone knows how to do this from within VB I'd be very interested). I'm looking for an alternative method of markup that is not effected by the background colours and images option and will therefore always print whether the option is enabled/disabled.<!--content-->like I said, once the user sets it in IE you can't change it. it has a lot to do with security.<br />
<br />
if the user has disabled it for a reason, no color ink in printer, then what you want is useless.<br />
<br />
and even if you wanted to do it from VB then the user has to Download <!--more--> it and then run it, you can't run things like that (unless it is a intranet environment and you run an ActiveX script, but only from IE).<br />
<br />
but if the user doesn't have the option to disable it, them why worry about it?<!--content-->As I said I am not looking to override the settings. I am just trying to find out if there is another way using HTML that will give me the same results as <span style="background-color: rgb(182,182,175)"> but will always print.<br />
<br />
The problem I have is that the print background colours and images is not enabled and general users within our company are not allowed to enable it.<!--content-->One way would be to use gif images for those bits of background-colored text.<br />
<br />
As for printing backgrounds using CSS then see the discussion at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.htmlforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19079&highlight=printing+css">http://www.htmlforums.com/showthread.ph ... inting+css</a><!-- m --> which contained links to some stuff on printing using CSS and was about a very similar (if not the same) issue as you're having.<br />
<br />
Neil<!--content-->Neil, if images are disabled how is that going to work?? silly old man :P<br />
<br />
also, I understand that users can't turn these option on, we do the same at our company, but i fyou try to print wih color you are overriding the setting. when you hit the print button, the OS takes over, not your webpage. well to a certain extent. you can set print headers but you can't override settings.<!--content-->I assumed he meant background images (certainly the grammatical construction of the sentence would strongly suggest that) and I was suggesting just using a normal image.<br />
<br />
Neil<!--content-->I kind of figured that much, I'm just keeping you on your toes ;)<!--content-->Whaddaya think I am? A bleedin' ballet dancer? :P <br />
<br />
Ohhhhh me Arthur Itis~~~~~. :(<br />
<br />
Neil<!--content-->

Back