preventing directory access

windows

My very first question.<br />
<br />
How do you prevent people from accessing the directory on your website?<br />
<br />
Okay, you might want to move this post if you need to, I know this isn't exactly an html question. But I'm building the site in html and need to know how to do so in this way.<br />
<br />
I did slap an .htaccess in the folder, but evidently I'm not doing something correctly, because it's not working.<br />
<br />
Any help would be very much appreciated.<br />
<br />
:help: <br />
<br />
lyn<!--content-->did you just PUT an htaccess in there, or did you set its password, etc?<!--content-->Hmmm. .htaccess only works with Apache servers.<br />
<br />
If you are using a Microsoft OS on your server, you need to do something different.<!--content-->quick and easy way to solve this problem. put an empty index.html file in the folder you don't want anybody to access. it will always load this file.<!--content-->Originally posted by scoutt <br />
quick and easy way to solve this problem. put an empty index.html file in the folder you don't want anybody to access. it will always load this file. <br />
<br />
hey, i never thought of that... <br />
<br />
do that<!--content-->Originally posted by Gregory <br />
hey, i never thought of that... <br />
<br />
do that <br />
of course you didn't, that is why I am the mystical guru :P ;)<!--content-->Well duh.<br />
<br />
Muchos thanks!<br />
<br />
Guess if I'm going to start out with a newbie question that really makes me look like a newbie, that was a good one to start with. ;)<br />
<br />
<br />
And yes, for future reference, my host uses Apache.<br />
<br />
I'm going in to check my password on the htaccess, just to find out why it didn't work.<br />
<br />
Y'all are wonderful! I'll start working on my second question. One down, a gazillion minus one to go...<br />
<br />
<br />
lyn<!--content-->A blank index.html file in the directory stops people seeing a list of files and subdirectories in that directory, but does not stop people accessing any files that they already know (or guess) the name of (but it is a good start).<br />
<br />
There is an .htaccess configuration that suppresses directory listings too.<!--content-->Originally posted by giz <br />
A blank index.html file in the directory stops people seeing a list of files and subdirectories in that directory, but does not stop people accessing any files that they already know (or guess) the name of (but it is a good start).<br />
<br />
There is an .htaccess configuration that suppresses directory listings too. <br />
<br />
Okay, I've got the blank index files up, but would really like to work in an .htaccess as well. Where can I find the configuration you're talking about?<br />
<br />
Thanks.<!--content-->in your htaccess file add this<br />
<br />
IndexIgnore *<br />
<br />
that will surpress the directory listing but that is if you do not have an index file in it.<br />
<br />
if you are trying to password protect then what do you have in your htaccess file to start with?<!--content-->

Back