Prevent Excel files from opening in IE

liunx

I'm trying to set up some Excel (xls) files for Download <!--more--> on my site, but I don't want the files to automatically open up in Explorer upon clicking... I want the click, or a button submit, to open up the "Save As..." dialogue immediately. Any suggestions?<br />
<br />
Thx,<br />
<br />
-Corey<!--content-->Two options come to mind straight away.<br />
<br />
Zip em and provide instructions for un-zipping.<br />
<br />
Give instructions to right click and save as.<!--content-->Use this:<br />
<br />
<p>Right Click the <a href=http://www.htmlforums.com/archive/index.php/"spreadsheet.xls" title="Right Click this Link, and Select the'Save As' Option.">Download <!--more--> Link</a> and select the Save As option from the pop up menu.</p><br />
<br />
Hover over the link, before you click it.<!--content-->someone has been cross posting, eh...? i think it belonged in here and not in client side scripting, though<!--content-->yes please don't cross-post<!--content-->thanks guys.. sorry about the crosspost -- i realized it should have gone in this section after posting.<br />
<br />
your suggestions are good ones. i currently have the Right click instructions, and am still considering the Zip method. i was just hoping there was a better way...<br />
<br />
anything we could do with javascript maybe? (now this question should probably go in the client-side forum..)<br />
<br />
thx<!--content-->actually that is a good question. Jon hanlon will probably know. go ahead and post in the client side forum and use a different subject and wording and see if he comes in today. he knows a good portion of javascript that will work with excel, if anybody will know how it would be him.<!--content-->

Back