Pre-loading pages

admin

Administrator
Staff member
I read somewhere that using <LINK href=http://www.webdeveloper.com/forum/archive/index.php/"nextpage.html" rel="next"> would cause nextpage.html to be loaded into the cache ready for the user when selected. I have tried this, but it doesn't seem to make any difference. I use IE5.5 :(<!--content-->Hadn't heard that, but if you want to preload an image for the next page, just put it at the bottom with style="display:none;" in the image tag. It will then load to the cache ready for the next page.<!--content-->Thanks, Dave, but unfortunately the next page will have about 20 thumbnail images and the code overhead could be self-defeating. I found a javascript which would do it, but it slowed the source page too much, however, your suggestion looks more promising and worth a try, even if I only preload some of them.<!--content-->Preloading does not make the image loading faster...it just changes when that time will be spent.<br />
Preloading images on one page for the second page adds as much loading time to the 1st page as it takes away from the 2nd.<!--content-->true...<br />
but it only defeats the purpose if the user immediately jumps to the next page.<br />
<br />
any time spent on the pre-loading page (reading, daydreaming, sleeping) will provide time that does not need to be devoted to the next page.<br />
<br />
I don't see any harm... as long as it's the last item to be written (well... not written) on the page.<br />
<br />
almost happy-hour (time to get pre-loaded :) LOL) ...<br />
;) k<!--content-->preloading pages can be very tricky from ym experience unless you are using all flash and are using a flash splash screen if you look at the ones on dynamic drive you will find that if you do not use a progress bar you will be waiting forever and not know whats happenening and a little gif that flashed and says loading does not cut it. But progress bars are hard to use in dhtml. Miles of coding and a migrane. But go to dynamic drive <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.dynamicdrive.com">www.dynamicdrive.com</a><!-- w --> and look at their code for yourself you can see how it caches the data and then finally submits you to another page after the image are loaded. Khaki thats what he is going for I think :)<!--content-->What I have is a list of properties for sale, each with a thumbnail picture 150px wide (about 3K filesize) and a short paragraph of text. They are spread across seven pages with about 20-25 per page, so while a client is browsing the first page, I would like the .jpgs for the second to be ready and waiting. The display: none; approach sounds favaourable so far.<!--content-->well this would mean some laggy browsing on the pages but it is possible just put some of that code in the page and well you are going to want some java script that says the image url's in the head of your page. The body might work too but If the user jump straight to the next page it wont be read. All the java script has to do is declare the images. I am trying to picture what I would look like Ill get back to you with the code and you can try it.<!--content-->PeOfEo, I tried the Javascript approach, but since the script for 20+ pictures was lengthy, the increased Download <!--more--> time in the source page was unacceptable. :mad:<!--content-->well I figured as much. I think you might need to just take a traditional approach because for 56k users Download <!--more--> time is going pretty bad. There is definatly going to be load problems no matter what you do though but its a gallery, about a week ago when I was on 56k (finally cable :)) I came to expect lengthy load times to gallery site though. What you could do is descrease the color depth of your thumbnails to 16 bit or something and I know its a bit absessive but it will decrease the Download <!--more--> time.<!--content-->Agreed. I use a program called 'Bandwidth Buster' with a quality setting of 70% a 150px wide picture works out at just under 4K. :cool:<!--content-->

Back