popups and blockers

liunx

I use (non auto-opening, triggered by onclick) popup miniwindows throughout my site to display supplementary info without taking the user from the main page. <br />
<br />
They're very simple... javascript with redundant href to cover if javascript disabled. <br />
<br />
The page contains this code... <br />
<br />
--------- <br />
<a href=http://www.webdeveloper.com/forum/archive/index.php/"URL/" onClick="OpenMiniWindow(this.href); return false" target="newWin">link</a> <br />
--------- <br />
<br />
And is linked to a master.js file containing... <br />
<br />
----------- <br />
// Open MiniWindow <br />
<br />
function OpenMiniWindow (c) { <br />
window.open(c, <br />
'miniwindow', <br />
'toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status=yes,menubar=no,scrollbars=yes,resizable=yes,width=450, height=400,left=0,top=0'); <br />
} <br />
----------- <br />
<br />
My question is simply... how are they affected by the various popup blockers? As a Mac user, I can't simply Download <!--more--> and try what's mainly a PC thing.<!--content-->googles toolbars built in add blocker is v. effective, i never seem to get any adds anymore. And easy to allow an add through, you just hold control when clicking on a link, and it allows the pop-up. click here (<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://toolbar.google.com/">http://toolbar.google.com/</a><!-- m -->) for more info.<!--content-->From Google...<br />
>The Google Toolbar's pop-up blocker only stops pop-ups that are created without requiring an action on the user's part. Legitimate pop-ups are created as a result of a user's click. The pop-up blocker allows one pop-up window to open per user click.<br />
<br />
<br />
So that does what I'd expect and clearly doesn't block stuff requiring an action on the user's part.<br />
<br />
Anyone any info on others? And I'veheard reports of XP blocking by default. Suggestions appreciated. Please and thanks.<!--content-->mozilla firebird blocks popups. Firebird is a superior browser, you can very easily disable java script (especially if you Download <!--more--> the webdev toolbar for it) and get around no right clicks and validate pages on the fly. Its nice. Not to mention the fact that it reads css like it is meant to be read. The only problem I have with it is the way it reads java script, but that is minor and usually not a big deal (it reads it like ns, beace it is ns basically :p )<!--content-->I use Opera and it has the best pop-up blocker I've ever seen. Not only that, but it's a great browser overall. Very fast and packed with awesome features. The pop-up blocker has four options, and the one I always have it set on is "Open requested pop ups only." That way, if I click on a link to open a pop-up, it will work. If I had it set on "Block all pop ups," then no pop ups would work at all, not even ones I request.<!--content-->Firebird can do that too. As well as have tabbed viewing. Also firebird is free and does not have a register me now banner on it, I also think that firebird runs a lil faster. Plus the opera Download <!--more-->s menu, how it is by default in its own tab is pretty annoying. Firebird has more ie like Download <!--more-->s. We have had browser debates like this before and opera just seems ugly to me. I prefer mozilla firebird over all other browsers.<!--content-->Yes, Firebird may have a pop-up blocker too, but I think it's much worse. I've actually gotten pop-ups using Firebird before, when the blocker was turned on. Plus, Firebird also seems to slow down when it's blocking a pop-up, while Opera does not. And the tabbed browsing in Opera is much better than Firebird's. First of all, it is enabled by default, while it's too confusing to turn tabbed browsing on in Firebird. About the register-me-now ad in Opera, I think everyone makes WAY too big of a deal out of it. It's barely noticeable and not annoying at all. Now, they even have relevant Google text ads instead of those dumb graphic ads Opera used to have. Actually, if I were to buy Opera, I wouldn't even want the ads removed, because they actually help more than hurt. And I actually tend to like Download <!--more--> manager in Opera. I think it's great and keeps everything more organized. I've tried Firebird before on multiple occasions and I just didn't like it at all. It's still better than IE, but not by much if you ask me. Opera is the way to go.<!--content-->Originally posted by A Falling Bomb <br />
It's still better than IE, but not by much if you ask me.Then you are obviously not taking into consideration how it parses (X)HTML and CSS at all... :rolleyes:<!--content-->Originally posted by A Falling Bomb <br />
And the tabbed browsing in Opera is much better than Firebird's. First of all, it is enabled by default, while it's too confusing to turn tabbed browsing on in Firebird. About the register-me-now ad in Opera, I think everyone makes WAY too big of a deal out of it. It's barely noticeable and not annoying at all. The tabbed viewing is not a default because some people (like myself) find it annoying, but it is there to turn on. How can opera's just be better? Also the popup blocker lets some popups though that might not be ads but rather other scripts on a site like surveys etc hosted from the same server. It blocks out ads from alternate servers. To get rid of all popups total you can alsways turn off java script. I can do it in one click because I have that on this webdev toolbar. Also I have never noticed firebird slowing down on a popup. What about the opera Download <!--more-->s, those are annoying as sin to flip back to one tab to get your menu. Also it is my opinion that firebird handles css slightly better, I have seen opera have a quirk or too on the right margin. Firebird and ie are not comperable. For one ie is just one gigantic security hole that does not read css worth beens and invents its own ways to handle the object tag as if it were on the fly almost.<!--content-->

Back