PHP - Zend say avoid Magic Methods?

I was reading this page - http://www.hm2k.com/posts/50-php-optimisation-tips-revisitedAnd one of the recommendations was to avoid using Magic Methods, cited from a Zend Performance PDF which gives no reason for its recommendation to avoid them.After some Google searching (and winding up here to an unrelated question) I wondered if anyone had any reccomendations on that front?I use __get() alot in my code, usually to save variables that I don't always use e.g.I may have a table with name, desc, category_id, time_addedMy get would look something like this:public function __get($name) { switch($name) { case 'name': case 'desc': case 'category': case 'time_added': $result = do_mysql_query(); $this->name = $result['name']; $this->desc = $result['desc']; $this->category = $result['category']; $this->time_added = $result['time_added']; return $this->{$name}; break; default: throw Exception("Attempted to access non existant or private property - ".$name); }}This seems like a great way to do things as I only ever get something from the database if it's needed and I can refence things like $article->time_added rather than fiddling around with arrays.Would this be considered bad practice and an extra load on the server?Often I will extend classes with magic methods and do something like this if the child class doesn't match something in a get.public function __get($name) { switch($name) { case 'name': case 'desc': case 'category': case 'time_added': $result = do_mysql_query(); $this->name = $result['name']; $this->desc = $result['desc']; $this->category = $result['category']; $this->time_added = $result['time_added']; return $this->{$name}; break; default: return parent::__get($name); }}Would this be bad practice and bad for performance? The maximum number of levels I have when extending magic methods is three.

Back