PHP Sessions and Passing Session ID

mymntaufarfjo

I have an API where I am passing the session id back and forth between calls. I set up the session like so:\[code\]// start API sessionsession_name('apikey');session_id($data['apikey']); // required to link sessionsession_start();\[/code\]Although I named my session and am passing the session id via GET and POST using the name, PHP does not automatically resume that session. It always creates a new one unless I set the explicitly set the session id.I found some old user comments on www.php.net that said unless the session id is the first parameter PHP won't set it automatically. This seems odd, but even when I call tried it still didn't work: \[code\]rest_services.php?apikey=sdr6d3subaofcav53cpf71j4v3&q=testing\[/code\]I have used PHP for years, but am a little confused on why I needed to explicitly set the session with \[code\]session_id()\[/code\] when I am naming the session and passing it's key accordingly.UPDATEIt seems I wasn't clear. My question is why is setting the session ID with \[code\]session_id()\[/code\] required when I am passing the id, using the session name \[code\]apikey\[/code\], via \[code\]$_GET\[/code\] or \[code\]$_POST\[/code\]. Theoretically this is no different than PHP's \[code\]SID\[/code\] when cookies are disabled. But for me it doesn't work unless I explicitly set the session ID. Why?

Back