Php/mysql Non Web Based Apps

liunx

I have designed several web-based database applications for my company that I would rather have stored locally. <br /><br />Here they are:<br /><br />#1: An application that stores forms sent by a website for review and edit.<br /><br />#2: An application for keeping track of sales leads. (has nothing to do w/ a website or getting data sent from a site)<br /><br />#3: An application that stores part prices.<br /><br /><br />Can anyone tell me how I would go about getting these off the web and storing them locally? Like on our intranet or something? I dont know anything about intranets.<br /><br />Well, i'd assume I would need to access the server where mySQL is (right now of course at Total Choice) so that's why they have to be on the web. <br /><br />Do I need to buy an applications server and install PHP and mySQL on it? Is that the only way? If I knew how to program in MS Access, I would be able to do it that way. But I dont know anything about it, that's why I want to use mySQL and PHP.<br /><br />Thanks in advance.<!--content-->
Depending on the traffic you want to run on it, you could get mySQL and PHP for the PC and use something like the Abyss Web Server to "serve up" the pages. Abyss is free for personal use (check the agreement for a business use - I've not checked it.) The Abyss server can be found on <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.aprelium.com">www.aprelium.com</a><!-- w --> but there are others that would work also<br /><br />The other choice is, of course, to get a full blown server and go that way..<!--content-->
If I get php and mysql for my PC at work and use abyss, Will it work for the forms that I need to get sent from the internet website? Or only local apps like my #2 and #3?<br /><br />If I get an app server, will I be able to do the same?<!--content-->
How does your #1 app get those website forms? <br />If it is a direct link to the database by some other web page then that web page would have to be able to access your PC and the mySQL you have set up there. That could get tricky if your business has firewalls and the like.<br /><br />An intranet is like the internet except they are usually blocked off from the "real world" by firewalls or IP numbering schemes that keeps it local - meaning that only people on your local network can get to them. (This is admittedly oversimplified but it's basically a sound description.)<br /><br />Unless your network has some of these things set up pretty strictly, others at your work could be allowed to access your apps or not as you choose when you set it up.<br /><br />Hope it helps!<!--content-->
I want to use my own server (or put server software on my PC). That I do know. I dont want to use a pre-made intranet software package.<br /><br />My #1 app uses a PHP script that connects to the mySQL database , adds the information, and closes the connection.<br /><br />Our network at work does have a firewall but I can configure it to whatever I need. I just need to know how the heck to start this up.<!--content-->
that Abyss web server software looks like it might be a good idea. I'm checking it out now.. Do you think i'll be able to install PHP and mySQL on it and run it from there?<!--content-->
Well I just found an old computer I had laying around and installed Abyss Web Server , including mySQL, PHP support, and phpMyAdmin.<br /><br />Looks like it's working like a charm! <br /><br />I also signed up with no-ip.com, where they give you a free domain name to use..they are a dynamic DNS service.<br /><br />Now I will be able to make my apps and put them on our local intranet. But what if outside users need to access the intranet? Is that a port change? This web server will be behind a firewall.<!--content-->

Back