php domdocument weird formating

sk8er_boi

I am experiencing weird behaviour when trying to format xml output while modifying domdocument structure.I have created simple Item class based on DomDocument:\[code\]class Item extends DOMDocument {private $root;function __construct($version = null, $encoding = null) { parent::__construct($version, $encoding); $this->formatOutput = true; $this->root = $this->createElement("root"); $this->root = $this->appendChild($this->root);}function build($name) { $item = $this->createElement("item"); $name = $this->createTextNode($name); $item->appendChild($name); $this->getElementsByTagName("root")->item(0)->appendChild($item);}}\[/code\]Now, I have small use case here: \[code\]$it = new Item('1.0', 'iso-8859-1');$it->build("first");$it->build("seccond");$xml = $it->saveXML();echo $xml;$it2 = new Item('1.0', 'iso-8859-1');$it2->loadXML($xml);$it2->build("third");$it2->build("fourth");$it2->build("fifth");$it2->formatOutput = true;$xml2 = $it2->saveXML();echo $xml2;\[/code\]And now the odd bit. I call the script and it produces two xml files as required, however I noticed that formating is somehow lost after I edit the document. It sort of carries on without any indents etc.\[code\]<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?><root> <item>first</item> <item>seccond</item></root><?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?><root> <item>first</item> <item>seccond</item><item>third</item><item>fourth</item><item>fifth</item></root>\[/code\]I am assuming it's something I'm missing here. Maybe it's the way I'm appending nodes to root after opening document, maybe some magic setting.The code does the job, but I was wondering what would be the cause of this weird behaviour.Any ideas?Greg

Back