Personal Tutorial

liunx

Hey,<br />
<br />
As you probably know, I am an amatuer Web Designer. What I want from you, if you are willing to help, is a personal tutorial. I want you to personaly teach me how to become a professional web designer.<br />
<br />
There isn't really anthing I can offer you except a description of your kindness and a link to your web page on my page.<br />
<br />
If you are willing to help me become a professional web page designer, please post here. If you are interested I'll give you my msn address and we can talk via msn.<br />
<br />
Thanx..:)<!--content-->You ask the unreasonable. Some how I feel that you will not get a single offer... Do you really think that someone has the time and inclination to turn you into a pro, and at that on a one to one level.<br />
<br />
If you want help, I would suggest you fire away with a specific question and you will get a whole host of users tripping over em selves to help you. The forum is about help for others as well. Post a question and we all might learn something new.<!--content-->Jay,<br />
<br />
the easiest way to become a professional web designer is usually to grab on to a project and then work through it. I agree it can be hard to get a handle around web design if you have no specific objectives.<br />
<br />
Before you start, I suggest you ask yourself a few questions to guide you where you want to go in step1.<br />
<br />
- by web design do you mean design, e.g. layout. E.g. what you are after is a good understanding of CSS, Fonts, colors, graphics ?<br />
- do you mean web page production, e.g. produce web page functionality, such as interacting with the user. Then you may want to ask yourself if this should be acomplished through:<br />
a) client side scripting (e.g. javascript)<br />
b) server side scripting (e.g. php, asp, and databases etc)<br />
<br />
For the layout, I suggest go through and understand what CSS is, learn the syntax and try to create a few websites examples. Read up on font-use and how to display same, get familiar with the color wheel and how to use colors. You can then branch into areas such as flash etc from there.<br />
<br />
For the web functionality part, you need to ask yourself the purpose of the webpage. If it is a simple website that display data and does not require gathering of data or responses back then client side scripting is a good place to start. I recommend: "the javascript bible" by Danny Goodman as a good book if you are interested. Otherwise, if you are looking for interactive websites which allow for storage of data, then consider learning php with mySql backup for example. Maybe you want to start with client side scripting and then branch into php/mysql later. Generally you can find free websites for client side scripting, only, and you have to pay for websites with server side/database access.<br />
<br />
I have always found that the easiest is to get involved with a project and then design around it. Try to volunteer to write a website for a specific purpose: a family page, a church website, a soccer team website, etc. To get the the 'sponsoring' party to explain what they want the website to offer and you can then start to define what you need:<br />
- pictures, colors, layout<br />
- must it just display data, do you need the visitors to be able to add data to the pages, submit information, etc ?<br />
<br />
Once you start to break down the task you then automatically get into areas such as css, images, flash, client and server side languages, etc.<br />
<br />
Just one good piece of advice. start simple: let the first project be one with liberal time limits and which should not be able to do 'everything' at once. If you have a hobby then let that we your first project.<br />
<br />
If you need help breaking the project into pieces so you know where to go, then come back here and we will help you..<br />
<br />
example:<br />
you may be interested in modern music concert industry and you want to start a webpage.<br />
first ask yourself what it must do ?<br />
-> lets say initially you want a home page with links to your favorite top 80 bands: each band their own page.<br />
You will update the bands including pictures.<br />
-> later you may want users to submit their own band suggestions and later again the visitors may be able to write their own concert review and upload pictures.<br />
-> your design should look at your target group. Are you designing for young people who are not professionally interested in the groups then you may require pictures and "movement" for interest (e.g. flash for example). This to capture interest. If your target audience is better known then capturing interest may not be needed, e.g. if you have a group of friends who just want to read the reviews and find info on concert dates, etc it may not be required that the site 'moves' .. if you know what I mean.<br />
-> initially you would design a 'shell' or template page that can be re-used for each band + a web home page. Then you should consider how the navigation should be and learn the appropriate javascript to ackomplish this. You can ask questions on this forum about best types of navigation etc..<br />
-> as you finish one level of the page you may want to add more functionality, such as voting for the bands, better navigation, personal pages for the visitors, etc and as THE REQUIREMENTS TO NEW FEATURES POP UP you can come back here and ask 'how do I add following feature ?....'. Then slowly you will be introduced to new topics and learn to do it all..<br />
<br />
Kenneth<!--content-->Jay,<br />
<br />
Although your request is somewhat presumptive, W3Schools has already volunteered:<br />
<br />
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.w3schools.com/">http://www.w3schools.com/</a><!-- m --><br />
<br />
IMO it is an excellent site.<!--content-->nobody becomes a professional without a lot of practice.<br />
<br />
practice makes perfect so akes some small websites first then steadily progress farther.<!--content-->Ok, maybe I was asking for the unreasonable...but thanx for your help anyway. Thanx espicially to kdjoergensen for your help, I really appreciate it...:) I will look into some of those suggestions...<br />
<br />
BTW Can you recommend any free html courses available online?? And also I would like to make a Neopets help page...but I want it to look attractive and proffesional just like all the other ones out there...If you could give me any suggestions, FIRE AWAY:)<!--content-->Try <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.htmlgoodies.com/primers/basics.html">http://www.htmlgoodies.com/primers/basics.html</a><!-- m --> It's basically written in the form of tutorials/course. The HTML Goodies book is a good one to use to start as well.<br />
<br />
It's where I first started learning way back when. <br />
<br />
Neil<!--content-->

Back