Password Encrypting

horapponetype

I am trying to write a password encryption class that I can use to encrypt and store user passwords. I want to make sure that I am doing this correctly. This code works fine and appears to generate an encrypted password, but I wanted to post it here to get some feedback. For me, this is fairly complicated, and I know with anything in crypto, it's easy to make mistakes without realizing that you are making them.Here is my code:\[code\] public CipherHandler { public String encryptPassword(char[] plaintext, String encoding) throws Exception { MessageDigest msgDigest = null; String hashValue = http://stackoverflow.com/questions/15886330/null; /* Convert char array plaintext to byte array */ byte[] b = new byte[plaintext.length << 1]; for (int i = 0; i < plaintext.length; i++) { b = (byte) plaintext; //will this work regardless of encoding? } try { msgDigest = MessageDigest.getInstance("SHA-256"); msgDigest.update(b); byte rawByte[] = msgDigest.digest(); hashValue = http://stackoverflow.com/questions/15886330/(new BASE64Encoder()).encode(rawByte); } catch (NoSuchAlgorithmException e) { System.out.println("No Such Algorithm Exists"); } System.out.println(hashValue); return hashValue; } }\[/code\]This function will generally be called from a Swing event handler where the user will enter their password into a JPassword field, which is why I am starting with a char[]. For testing, I am using this code to call the function:\[code\]CipherHandler cp = new CipherHandler();String initPW;try { initPW = cp.encryptPassword("welcome".toCharArray(), "UTF-8");}\[/code\]As this is my first attempt at this, I imagine that I have overlooked something. I'm interested in any advice or comments. I do have a couple of specific questions, though:[*]When I convert the char[] to a byte[], I don't trust that I am doing this correctly. How do I know which encoding to use? Here, I put "UTF-8" in, mostly as a placeholder, but I am concerned that this may fail in some circumstances.[*]I have read that I should be using salt and iterations after the password has been digested, but I can't figure out how to do this. Can somebody please advise me on this?[*]I am using SHA-256. Is this the suggested algorithm? I have read about MD5, also. Is there one algorithm that is preferable for password encryption?Thanks for any help. I appreciate it!