page transitions.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
on my site, i use page transitions, to try and mask the time it takes for an image to load.<br />
<br />
however, it it not a very smooth transition, and i was wondering if there were any recommendations for code that might work better.<br />
<br />
this is the code that i have now<br />
<br />
<meta http-equiv="Page-Enter" content="revealTrans(Duration=2.0,Transition=12)"><br />
<meta http-equiv="Page-Exit" content="revealTrans(Duration=2.0,Transition=12)"><br />
<meta http-equiv="Site-Enter" content="revealTrans(Duration=2.0,Transition=12)"><br />
<meta http-equiv="Site-Exit" content="revealTrans(Duration=2.0,Transition=12)"><br />
<br />
<br />
Any suggestions?<br />
<br />
also, is there a way to make the transitions work in mozilla and in IE?<!--content-->Increase the value of the duration and it might look smoother.<br />
<br />
The page transitions are IE only as far as I know. Mozilla and no other browser supports them that I am aware of.<!--content-->And for what it's worth, page transitions don't work on Mac IE5, either.<br />
<br />
Do you really need them?<br />
<br />
Peg<!--content-->Originally posted by CarpeNoctem <br />
on my site, i use page transitions...Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhh! <br />
*sound of chair being shuffled across floor*...*person climbing on chair*...*chair being kicked away*...*strange swinging 'ropey' creaking sound*<!--content-->i for one can't stand them!!<br />
<br />
a thought i always design with 'remove all possibility of causing a viewer to leave your site'. Reduce the size of your image!!<!--content-->i think that it kinda sucks, that when somebody comes here and asks a question on how to do something that he gets criticizedand ridiculed for wanting to do it.<br />
<br />
it would have been different if i asked what you thought of them, but i was simply asking what do do to change them.<br />
<br />
you guys have always shown me the way to figure stuff out, god knows that half the things on my site could not be done without the help i have received here... but i have never been so criticized, and felt so horrible for doing something on the site that i personally liked, and nobody else has to.<br />
<br />
And with that, i thank you Kevin for answering my question.<br />
<br />
Mark<!--content-->Sorry if you feel that way about the comments made (admittedly I could have been more constructive :)). But don't you want to know what the majority of visitors to your site will be thinking? Is it not important that only a percentage of visitors can view the transitions? Is that not important to you? If not, if the only thing that matters is whether you personally like your web site then fair enough, don't take the comments onboard.<br />
<br />
You are right in that you didn't request a review of the site and so apologies for the comments I made regarding transitions. <br />
<br />
The comments made by Leoo24 are spot on though. You should consider reducing the image sizes. Also, you might want to consider Download <!--more-->ing a javascript image pre-loader. I used one of these once and it pre-loaded all the images in a cache while the visitor was browsing the first page. Then when the went to the pages with the images on they loaded instantly.<!--content-->Originally posted by CarpeNoctem <br />
i think that it kinda sucks, that when somebody comes here and asks a question on how to do something that he gets criticizedand ridiculed for wanting to do it.<br />
<br />
it would have been different if i asked what you thought of them, but i was simply asking what do do to change them. <br />
<br />
Mark, you asked two questions - how to make the transitions smoother and how to get them to work in IE and Mozilla. Kevin declared that transitions were an IE-specific function. I qualified that with the fact that the transitions don't work on the Mac version of IE. <br />
<br />
Now, if you have something that doesn't work properly on the two main browsers - IE and Mozilla/Netscape - is it something that you absolutely have to have? It wasn't a criticism, it was a question. If I missed the link to the page you were having problems with, I apologize. <br />
<br />
Peg<!--content-->there was a suggestion brought up that i have a question about....<br />
<br />
how do you get the images to load automatically into the cache? that does sound interesting<br />
<br />
<br />
a lot of people do use IE so they will at least be able to benefit from the transitions..... they can benefit from the scrollbar colors too that mozilla people cant.....<br />
<br />
Thnaks for the suggetions and the help<br />
<br />
Mark<!--content-->Here's one (<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.hotscripts.com/Detailed/17198.html">http://www.hotscripts.com/Detailed/17198.html</a><!-- m -->) There are a load of others. Enter these words into google javascript image cache preloader It throws up a load of links.<!--content-->Although i feel i was only posting a personal opnion on page transitions and not critisising you i do however apologise if it came over that way, sorry :)<br />
<br />
Only in trying to help you have a more succesfull site i was trying to emphasize that page transtitions will drive visitors away. :)<br />
<br />
preloading the images is a good idea!<br />
<br />
the image background on your index page is far too big, 144kb (roughly i just deleted it and can't remember it exactly, but it's maybe only one or two out)<br />
Google recommends pages NO bigger than 100kb, you've gone over that with one image.<br />
<br />
i Download <!--more-->ed the image and threw it into photoshop and saved for the web, got it down to 33kb with a negligable loss of quality (can't see any difference actually), here it is.<br />
<br />
Now maybe this is not a direct response to your page transition problem but you said you had the transitions to hide the slow Download <!--more-->ing due to the large images :)<!--content-->

Back