"Operation is not allowed when the object is closed" error

liunx

Hello,

I have a few web applications that I have been running on one of our web servers at work and everything is fine. Rearrangements have come about and a change of server is needed. Therefore all the intranet websites/applications on one server were moved onto a new server. But now some of the applications just don't work.

I'm getting the following error in 3 of 8 websites/applications:

Operation is not allowed when the object is closed
The strange thing is I can't find any consistency between the 8 websites. All the HTML only websites are working fine. The 3 websites that are not working all try to access an MS Access database and this is where the error is coming from. However, there are another 2 applications that access MS Access database's but are not suffering from this error :X I'm guessing its some sort of permissions error in the folders/files or IIS itself but I can't seem to work it out. The scripts themselves have not changed so I can rule out any coding errors. If anyone has any ideas or directions I could go with this your help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Regards.Well, first thing - check to make sure the Access databases moved with everything else.
Second - check to see if you're pointing to a DSN within your ASP or the physical Access file.
If it's the physical file, make sure it's still pointing to the right place.
If it's a DSN, make sure that ODBC DSN has been set up on the new server.

Let me know if none of those cleared it up.Well, first thing - check to make sure the Access databases moved with everything else.
Second - check to see if you're pointing to a DSN within your ASP or the physical Access file.
If it's the physical file, make sure it's still pointing to the right place.
If it's a DSN, make sure that ODBC DSN has been set up on the new server.

Let me know if none of those cleared it up.
Hello putts :)

Thanks for replying! Already much appreciated because I am out of ideas lol. Ok to answer your first questions mate:

The Access database is there ok.
The connection string doesn't use DSN, its a physical address, and thats set relatively to the files so its ok.
Yup it's pointing to the correct place.

Thanks again for replying and hopefully the above information gives a better understanding of my problem!

Regards.Well, then, it's back to my original thought.....

That error typically occurs when you're trying to use an object inside your code and that object has either been closed or not properly opened.

What line do you get that error on and what's the code look like there?I'm 100% sure there is nothing wrong with my code. The applications work fine on another server, and locally on my computer. But not the second server. Permissions? I don't know what permissions should be set for IIS/ASP.NET to run properly though :X

Regards.

Back