onClick for verifiying text

When someone clicks the submit button I want my required fields to be displayed if they did not fill in the information. I have tried a lot of things but cannot get this to work. I am new (as if you didn't know). Please help...this is annoying. And do I have to do it in java or can I stick with HTML? Anyway I need to know where to place this also. I read you can only have one line of script for the onClick.<!--content-->Use server side script to verify data integrity.<br />
Use client side script to make your form user friendly. On the client side use form onsubmit event to go over the form fields before submission.<!--content-->The form is going through a mailserver so they are the server side. How would be the best way for me to do client side? Do you have an example?<!--content-->Can someone answer this for me?<!--content-->if it is going to a mail server then you are using a server side technology to handle the form. Why not do the scripting with that.<!--content-->I appreciate your response. I will use it as server side if i new what code to send to the server. Here is what I am doing. I want the block with * next to them to be flagged if they are not filled out at all or correctly. The blocks without * I would like them to be flagged also but as a reminder that they weren't fill out.<!--content-->

Back