"not recomended for nivice owners"?

dogperson22

when i was on iams breed guide<br />
<br />
http//us.iams.com/iams/en_US/jsp/IAMS_Page.jsp?pageID=DBG<br />
<br />
<br />
some dog breeds were listed as not recomended for novice owners mean. why are some dogs not recomended for novice owners? are they harder to take care of?<br />
but for some dogs it says they are easy to train, love everyone and yet it still says not recomended for novice owners<br />

ChrisM

These breeds of dogs are more strong minded. They need early socialization and if don't raised properly they may be a nightmare to live with.

2Westies

Some breeds are harder to train and need a firm hand with obedience. Terriers for example can be very stubborn and willful and need obedience training otherwise you will end up with an out of control dog in the house.

DagonHounds

Harder to train, harder to groom, independent personalities, requiring an extremely large amount of exercise, any number of these things.

take the Siberian Husky for example...they are good looking, but a PAIN in the rear to train and take care of

compared to a lab, MOST are loyal, easy to train and require "low care"

DogsGoneCrazy

It's because they are harder to train (stubborn,hard headed,etc...),Need more exercise (physically and mentally), Have independant personalities,need more socialization, Need tons of grooming, etc..

Example
Siberian huskys arent for novice owners because they are stubborn,dig,needs tons of exercise and they are escape artists. Most novice owners cant handle a dog like this.

banzuke333

they are most likely harder to take care of, can you indicate which breeds so we can probably give a better explainantion?

borders collies are smart dogs, very smart and easy to train, and needs to be challenged and worked. They have high energy, and most families who bring this dog into their home without knowing these points with end up with a destructive dog that will tear up things.

Huskies are also great dogs but require a lot of exercise, in a normal family that does not give the dog exercise will also tear up the yard and end up with an excape artist on their hands.

bully breeds such as pitbulls and staffy and nice dogs to have if the owner knows how to handle the dog - they are not born aggressive, but environment and owner plays a major role, if raised wrong (such as letting the dog believe it is the dominant one) then you would have a serious problem on your hand.

there are many other examples, please research thoroughly about a breed if you are planning on getting a new addition to your family, and feel free to ask any question that may be of help to you

dogs that are typically not recommended for novice owners are those that require a lot more time and attention, not necessarily because they are difficult to train or stupid, but certain dogs do not do well being left alone in the yard, other dogs need an owner that is knowledgeable of dogs and can pick up on their body language of when they may be showing aggression and how to correct it.

moniquer

No, probably not harder to take care of per say, but most likely are harder to train because they are known to be more stubborn. Or they might need excessive grooming, or specific requirements related to that. But if you were interested in a "novice" dog, just do your research and be prepared so you know what to expect and the dog doesn't suffer. Hope this helped )

LeeCee

Yes, some dogs have strong personalities and take a lot of training and discipline. Also, some dogs, like Border Collies, are very smart and need to be actively "working" so they will require a lot of time and attention.

poppy

Some dogs are harder to control. Either they are very stubborn, or they are very intelligent, and are always ready, willing, and able to outsmart you. These dogs aren't for novice owners, they need someone seasoned and able to keep them in line.

For a novice owner, an ideal breed would be one eager to please, and smart, but not *too* smart.

insaneeesam

There could be many reasons for it.

- Some breeds are more difficult to housetrain.
- Some breeds are more wary of strangers.
- Some breeds have very high mental/physical exercise demands.
- Some breeds are prone to health problems.
- Some breeds are harder to train and/or stronger.
- Some breeds have a high prey drive and/or known for animal/dog aggression.

I'd type whatever breeds you want more information on into Google. Most breeds have a pretty lengthy Wikipedia article.

wallflower

I see what you mean - I just went on there and pulled up Black and Tan Coonhound - which was the closest to my breed - Bluetick Coonhound. It said "not recommended for novice owners" - they might be a little stubborn, but I find less so than a husky, and they like to howl, but I think they make good family dogs and all the other coonhounds I've known - love to be in a crowd. It says that they can be dog aggressive - which I have never found with any of mine - mine make friends- human and animal- at the vets waiting room. I do have friends in the area that have coonhounds for hunting (during the hunt they can get aggressive but then they go back to being buddy-buddy afterwards). The only coonhound I'd recommend not go to a first time owner is a Plott Hound as they tend to be more intense due to the fact they are mostly used on big game (boar, etc) - but if you can put up with occasional howling, I think a coonhound would be a good choice for a novice owner - just make sure they are in a tall fenced yard as if they get loose they follow their nose.

A dog like a Rottweiler, Pit Bull, Neapolitan Mastiff , German Shepherd even - I would not recommend to a first time owner due to what they were bred for and that not trained/brought up properly can be a danger. Huskies and coonhounds might be stubborn, but they are also very forgiving and can be easy to please- as well as the fact they do not make good guard dogs (save for their size) because 99% love people.

chalbri

I have 2 AmStaffs, and we got our first one when she was a year and a half. She did not have any training whatsoever, and it is impossible for my kids to walk her because she is so strong. It's hard for me to walk her! We have been working on training her so she can on a leash without pulling it. Our second one, we adopted when she was only 7 weeks old. She was given to the shelter because she was biting.... ALL puppies bite! They need to be trained not to! If this breed isn't trained when young, they can be big problems as adults!

I also have a shih tzu, and they are high maintenance with grooming! BUT they don't require much exercise. Some breeds need a lot of vigorous activity daily. Depending on the owner, they may or may not want a dog with high maintenance or high-exercise needs.

well, when it says that some dogs are not recommended for novice owners, it just means that they have a more independent mind and personality; therefore, they need a firm owner who will be able to match their needs (ex. training, exercise, etc.).

but a lot of the good dog breeds are labeled as "not for novice owners."

For example, Korean Jindos. Jindos are extremely good dogs--they are self-trained and potty-trained from birth, extremely clean. They are labeled as dogs not for novice owners, because they have independent minds and personalities, which causes them to kind of think they know better than you and think for themselves and sometimes for you; therefore, they require a lot of training, exercise, and definatley a loving owner. But dont get me wrong, they are VERY loyal and protective, and strangely, no matter how bad their owner is, they are always ready to defend their owner and family to the death.

Another example is the Saint Bernard. Saints are very good dogs--sweet, loyal, obedient, affectionate, etc. I always wondered why they had sometimes been classified as not for novice owners, but after raising my first Saint, I can see why. Saints are loyal and obedient, except some are bright & smart, while others are slower, more stubborn, and dumb. And it definately requires a lot of patience and consistency from the owner.

however, novice owners can get these "non-novice dogs," they just need to prepare and be willing to meet the dog's requirements.