No scroll bars.....

Yellow!<br />
<br />
I have a problem. My site starts with a splash page that has a n image that's bigger than 1280x1024. I didn't want any scroll bars to appear, so i set the inage as a background image as opposed to inserting an image onto the page.<br />
<br />
It's all cool and works fine. However, if someone with a screen res. of higher than 1280x1024 view the page, the image will appear 'tiled' which will lokk cr*p and is not what i want.<br />
<br />
So.... is there either:<br />
<br />
1. A way to set an image as a background image but to disable 'tiling' so that the image appears only once.<br />
<br />
OR <br />
<br />
2. Is there a way to stop scroll bars appearing on the page. I know that you can specify this in a link openning up a new window, but since this is the splash page, that's not really an option.<br />
<br />
OR maybe there's someting else i haven't thought about.<br />
<br />
FYI the site i refer to is <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.nuoptik.com">http://www.nuoptik.com</a><!-- m --> ;)<br />
<br />
and BTW.... i'm not great at 'pure' HTML. I use DW3 and BBEdit Lite6.1 to do ust simple stuff. (flash is more my thing.)<!--content-->put this in between your <head></head> tags:<br />
<br />
<style><br />
body {<br />
background-repeat: none;<br />
}<br />
</style><!--content-->try adding scroll="no" to your <body> tag.<br />
<br />
ex.<br />
<br />
<body bgcolor="#CBBE98" scroll="no"><br />
<br />
:)<!--content-->Thanks alot guys! ;) that gives me something to work with.<!--content-->75% of all web users have a resolution of 800x600 and this seting will cut half your site off. then it looks funny :)<!--content-->Yeh, thanks for making sure i knew that. I have however concede that the site is going to be designed for people with 1024x768+ screen res.'s. I can do this cos it's not really going to be seen by 'joe public' but more by designers and other media types (who will hopefully have bigger screen res.)<br />
<br />
If i were to design my site for 800x600 users, i'd have to sacri***e too much. 800x600 really is a piddly size when you account for all the toolbars etc also!<!--content-->Hope they've got a broadband connection as well :)<!--content-->..... um, yeh.... Broadband and Flash 6..... :rolleyes:<br />
<br />
Hell if we all designed for the lowest common denominator... the web would be a pretty darn boring place!<br />
<br />
(and it's only the splash image that takes a while to Download <!--more--> on a 56k... the rest ain't all that bad. And i'll be changing the splash soon....)<!--content-->Interesting perspective. Odd though as I don't find the Net boring and yet I always close sites with Splash screens. Never seen a use for them yet that a good index page doesn't cover equally well.<br />
<br />
Oh and i have broadband as well but I still dislike Splash screens. <br />
<br />
Good Luck though! :thumbup:<!--content-->Originally posted by nuoptik <br />
..... um, yeh.... Broadband and Flash 6..... :rolleyes:<br />
<br />
Hell if we all designed for the lowest common denominator... the web would be a pretty darn boring place!<br />
<br />
(and it's only the splash image that takes a while to Download <!--more--> on a 56k... the rest ain't all that bad. And i'll be changing the splash soon....) <br />
<br />
<br />
you can do a lot with IE5.0/ N6 and flash 4. Those are hardly the lowest common denominator, and target 'most' of the web surfers out there. Targeting for only the 'newest and greatest' is the surest way to discriminate users. <br />
<br />
And if your splash page takes forever to load on 56k, why would the user think twice about leaving? If your splash page is the initial impression, make it load quick and make it worthwhile (such as to choose a language preference, or allow users to choose a flash/ html version).<!--content-->

Back