new to web designing jumping in the deep end :S

liunx

hey guys my band have asked me to design them a website for us, i have in the past worked with frontpage and have made basic sites.<br /><br />Its been a little while and im really rusty to it all, they've asked me to do it as im the only one with any pc knowledge.<br /><br />Anyways they've basically been thinking up ideas and sending them over to me, the liked the way that The Strokes website was set out >>> <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.thestrokes.com">www.thestrokes.com</a><!-- w --><br /><br />Heres there ideas: Arcade cabinet with screen displaying menu/navigation options like home, bio, pictures, video....<br /> joystick to move up and down and select a category.<br /> buttons one to click what to select and one to go back to home page.<br /><br /><br />And they were wanting everything to pop up on the screen, instead of page changing.<br /><br />Im a fast learner but really slow getting started, so any help or info you guys can give me to jump in and work on this would be great.<br /><br />I have adobe creative suite to use and a few other designing tools including xara coral paint shop.<br /><br />thanks Kevin<!--content-->
Welcome to WDF!<br /><br />thestrokes.com site is made in Flash but if you've never worked with flash before it's quite a tall learning curve to recreate something similar. By all means have a go but I would think your time would be better spent learning and understanding HTML and CSS.<br /><br />Ideas are wonderful, moving joysticks, popup windows and the rest of it but those things don't always make a site easy to use - not everyone is as web savvy as you or your mates and you always run the risk of alienating your fans/visitors because they can't use your site. Popup windows are one of the biggest pet hates on the net so that's worth remembering, and there's nothing wrong with pages changing to see different content - that's the way web pages are supposed to work!<br /><br />If search engines are important to you for getting visitors then it's best to stick with plain HTML pages, by all means have Flash widgets on the page to glam it up if you want but plain text is always a lot easier for people to read and understand what your message is.<!--content-->