New site -- trouble with PR?

klmn

Hi, this is my first post. I have a relatively new site, and have just begun (over the last month) working at increasing the PR and the SERP position for several keywords. My concern is that the PR of my main page is only 2. I was under the impression that even if you have a new site, it would start with a PR of 3 or 4 if there are no penalties.I am hoping the problem is our lack of inbound links. We only have one inbound link that shows up on Google, but we are listed in DMOZ, the Google Directory, and a few other places (hopefully we will get credit for this soon). However, I have seen many examples of websites that have no inbound links except from internal pages, and these sites still have a PR of 4. How could this be if new sites start out with no PR?My question is this: is my poor PR based on having almost no inbounds, or could I be doing something wrong with my website?PR is only based on inbound linksWhat is the URL of your website?When did you start the site?The URL is http://www.24-7notary.com.The site has actually been around for a few months, but we have just recently begun to advertise and try to get better search results.One mistake we made was using a splash page (a flash animation that redirects to our homepage). But interestingly, we had a PR of 3, with NO backlinks for about a month. Then we removed the splash page and after the most recent PR update, we were dropped to a 2, which is also when we started seeing our first backlink.Maybe the initial PR3 was a mistake?Well the great thing is that you have a DMOZ listing. This usually is what takes the longest, but you have it. I am noticing that your PR has not fully updated yet, because your DMOZ or Google directory listing is not showing in your backlinks. I am going to guess that when the next updates rolls through, your PR will increase.I would def get a Yahoo directory and Business.com listing.Sweet...that's what I was hoping for, myself. And that's what I've been telling my partners. They wanted to pay for SEO, but I've just heard so many bad stories...I actually got listed in DMOZ within 1 week. I guess my category just has a great editor! I've heard of some submissions not getting touched for over a year. OK, I guess I'll just sit back and (try to) be patient.if there's one thing almost everyone here knows, it's that you need to be patient, really, really patient to see big changes.no, you don't start with a PR3 or 4. you need inbound links. the dmoz listing will help in time.get content up and ask to do link-exchanges with people. get a lot of pages up, even without many inbound links this'll help. and more sites will be likely to link to you naturally after a while.Well I wouldn't say all SEO companies are bad. You need to stay away from companies that say they will guarantee a certain position or in a certain time period. I mean of course I am going to defend it, its what I do for a living. The good thing that we do is not only natural and paid seo, but we also do all tracking from every possible source, whether it be leads, sales, or phone calls. Its all about data and covering all the bases. But if you can learn this on your own, more power to you! One thing I would suggest is with your links page. I would recommend only linking with sites that are in your industry/business.Also, you may want to create a site map in case any engines have any problems indexing your site.How did you get on DMOZ? That's really good. I have many sites and only 1 of them are in DMOZ. The other ones, they said it's still under editorial review!Quote:Quote: