netscape/ strange things appearing in corner

admin

Administrator
Staff member
hello ,<br />
I have uploaded a site recently and have noticed that in netscape some weird characters are appearing in the top left corner. Everything is hunky dory in internet explorer, and it's only occuring on one page. I checked the code but can't see anything. Could someone cast a glance and see if a fresh set of eyes finds the problem , here's the page in question <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.cityartscentre.ie/cityquay.html">http://www.cityartscentre.ie/cityquay.html</a><!-- m --><br />
appreciate any help<br />
thanks<!--content-->In View|Source, I see this on the first line of the document:<br />
<br />
?<html><!--content-->Your page is missing the doctype as the first code. Place this as the first line on all pages and see the difference. IE can live without it but Netscape needs more help.<br />
<br />
<br />
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"><!--content-->Originally posted by cyberclownhat <br />
Your page is missing the doctype as the first code. Place this as the first line on all pages and see the difference. IE can live without it but Netscape needs more help.<br />
<br />
<br />
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"> <br />
<br />
And that doctype will make a differnce?<br />
In what browser?<br />
<br />
To my knowledge, IE 6, Opera 7 and Mozilla would all handle that as a non-standards-compliant webpage.<br />
<br />
You would at least require a correct systemidentifier (the URL part) to trigger Standards mode in modern browsers. In Mozilla you would even need a STRICT doctype to trigger full standards compliant rendering (a TRANSITIONAL HTML doctype would only put it in almost standards rendering mode).<br />
<br />
In any case, the problem mentioned by the poster is that weird "?<html>" as gil posted about.<!--content-->I copied your source and corrected several items that were not standard code. Netscape 6 displayed it correctly without the strange characters.<br />
<br />
I included the "doctype" suggested earlier to good affect, even if others disagree.<br />
<br />
Generally, the use of special hyphens and apostrophies in text were not recognized correctly by Netscape. Use the standard keyboard ones.<br />
<br />
Also, you used an attribute "height" in a table description - remove it as it is not allowed. A set of <P></P> and an extra </font> was also removed.<br />
<br />
Check out the result at:<br />
<br />
<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.geocities.com/ccbebs/TablemakerTesting.htm">www.geocities.com/ccbebs/TablemakerTesting.htm</a><!-- w --><br />
<br />
The graphic will not show since I did not have easy access to it.<br />
<br />
Good luck.<!--content-->Originally posted by cyberclownhat <br />
I included the "doctype" suggested earlier to good affect, even if others disagree.What Stefan was saying is that you are including and invalid "doctype". Here is an example of a valid one.<br />
<br />
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"><!--content-->Your problem is with the symbols before the <html> tag. If you delete those, everything should work fine.<!--content-->The strange codes, ? ,were not put in the code by the programmer. They are generated by Netscape while IE 6.0 handles the coding errors without screwing up the display.<br />
<br />
This can be good or bad depending on whether you are looking for "correct" use of vendor varible "standards" or just a "correct" display of your page.<br />
<br />
<br />
Your milage may vary!<!--content-->Originally posted by cyberclownhat <br />
The strange codes, ? ,were not put in the code by the programmer. They are generated by Netscape while IE 6.0 handles the coding errors without screwing up the display.<br />
Actually, the programmer's poor tag nesting caused Netscape to generate the extraneous characters. Attached is the source, with the offending <FONT> tags commented out. It will work fine in Netscape.<!--content-->Originally posted by cyberclownhat <br />
The strange codes, ? ,were not put in the code by the programmer. They are generated by Netscape<br />
<br />
<br />
Interesting how it could still show up in view source when I used IE 6.01 if that is generated by Netscape... :rolleyes:<!--content-->Originally posted by pyro <br />
What Stefan was saying is that you are including and invalid "doctype". <br />
<br />
Actually the Doctype suggested by cyberclownhat is VALID, but it's not enough to convince modern browsers that the webpage is a standards compliant one.<br />
<br />
The reason for this is that there have been some WYSI(not)WYG editors that included a valid 4.01 Transitional doctype (without an URI) but still produced awful crappy code.<br />
That is why browser will assume it's nonvalid code when you use an incomplete 4,01 Transitional doc-t and use quirks rendering mode instead of Standards compliant mode.<br />
<br />
Here btw is a link to Mozillas doctype sniffing documentation<br />
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.mozilla.org/docs/web-developer/quirks/doctypes.html">http://www.mozilla.org/docs/web-develop ... types.html</a><!-- m --><br />
<br />
IE/Win 6, IE/Mac 5 and Opera 7b have resonably similar implementations, but for only having 2 instead of mozillas 3 rendering modes (The doctypes in ALMOST STANDARS in mozilla usually triggers standards in other browsers).<!--content-->Originally posted by Stefan <br />
Actually the Doctype suggested by cyberclownhat is VALID, but it's not enough to convince modern browsers that the webpage is a standards compliant one.I guess I stated that wrong. What I meant was what you said. :D<!--content-->thanks for your help, I took out the rogue font tag. As it was only the one page that it was occuring on I rekon that must have been the source of the problem. Regarding the messy and untidy code I apoligize but what can I say , I like it dirty!!!<!--content-->

Back