netscape 4.7 table overlap

liunx

I have been having a horrible time getting the overal to stop on my site. Some days it is fine, but on the following day <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.theunionleader.com/pages/yesterday.html">http://www.theunionleader.com/pages/yesterday.html</a><!-- m --> if a user in Netscape 4.7 decides to use the browser preferences to 16pts or so and picks use document specified fonts, it causes overlap. Then other days the 12pt default causes an overlap. This problem originally was fixed when we used of a 300-pixel photo at the bottom to stablilizes the frames (table cells). We found using a smaller<br />
image in the same template which uses photos with side caption..... it blows out. We already know that a picture<br />
at the top with side copy blows it out. I'm get frustrated with it. Everything looks okay in IE and Netscape 6<br />
<br />
[Edited by wombabomba on 02-28-2001 at 11:40 AM]<!--content-->Try using css to avoid major text issues regarding a user's browser preference (this works pretty well for NC4X/IE5X). As long as the font-size is set to a pixel value, rather than a pt value, you should be fine.<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"><br />
<br />
<html><br />
<head><br />
<title>Untitled</title><br />
<style type="text/css"><br />
td.body{ font-family: arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; }<br />
.usepoints{ font-family: arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12pt; }<br />
</style><br />
</head><br />
<br />
<body><br />
<br />
<table cellpadding=0 cellspacing=0 border=0><br />
<tr><br />
<br />
<!-- substitute the "body" class for the "usepoints" class and see what happens when you switch text sizes in Netscape--><br />
<td class="usepoints"><br />
<p>Very Interesting</p><br />
</td><br />
<td class="body"><br />
Zantop murders split quiet Vermont town as local teens wait behind bars in NH<br><br />
By KATHRYN MARCHOCKI<br><br />
Union Leader Staff<br><br />
<p>CHELSEA, Vt. ?Beneath the glistening snow-covered hills<br />
bordering Chelsea lie dark shadows of division since grisly murder charges were brought against two local teens. While Robert Tulloch, 17, and James Parker, 16, sat in jail accused of slaughtering two Dartmouth College professors, friends and neighbors talked of baking them cookies and<br />
sending them cards and notes at a community meeting last Thursday. ... <a href=http://www.htmlforums.com/archive/index.php/"">Full Story.</a><br />
</td><br />
</tr><br />
</table><br />
<br />
</body><br />
</html><br />
<br />
<br />
HTH - I don't have a lot of time to explain it just now. SHoot me an email if I can help you.<!--content-->That help will do for now. I can go through the different portions of the page and try to get 4.7 to comprehend as it should. I'll be back if things turn sour again. Thanks very much<!--content-->

Back