Nesting MySQL queries to UPDATE or INSERT with PHP

ptown67

Using MySQL and PHP I'm making an index of the "amounts" table and grouping it by product, type, month, day, and hour. Then either updating a matching record in the "amounts_merged" table or inserting a new record if it does not already exist.Here is the solution I came up with. But I'm not sure this is the best way to go about this. Any suggestions would be great.\[code\]$sql = "SELECT product, type, month, day, hour, AVG(amount) AS average_amount FROM amounts GROUP BY product, type, month, day, hour";$result1 = @mysql_query($sql, $con) or die(mysql_error());while($row = mysql_fetch_array($result1)) { $average_amount = $row[average_amount]; $product = $row[product]; $type = $row[type]; $month = $row[month]; $day = $row[day]; $hour = $row[hour]; $sql = "UPDATE amounts_merged SET average_amount = '$average_amount' WHERE product = '$product' AND type = '$type' AND month = '$month' AND day = '$day' AND hour = '$hour'"; $result2 = @mysql_query($sql, $con) or die(mysql_error()); $updated_rows = mysql_affected_rows(); if ($updated_rows == 0) { $sql = "INSERT INTO amounts_merged (product, type, month, day, hour, average_amount) VALUES ('$product', '$type', '$month', '$day', '$hour', '$average_amount')"; $result3 = @mysql_query($sql, $con) or die(mysql_error()); }}\[/code\]

Back