Need Advice!!

liunx

I posted this in the CGI forum, just wanted to see what you guys think too:<br />
<br />
My university web account does not allow me to upload cgi scripts and allows me very limited access to their cgi programs. <br />
<br />
I have been working through the tutorial: HTML:A Complete Reference, and have been working off just my own computer learning html,css,forms, but have now ran into a bit of a problem with server-side scripting due to the problem above. <br />
<br />
Is there a way to place a cgi script in a directory on your own hard drive and then, for example, include the C:\ pathname of where that script is as the value for the ACTION attribute in a form. Would this work? (if you had the necessary compiler,libraries,etc. on there too)<br />
<br />
I feel pretty strong with html and css so i guess im asking what you all think would be the best way to learn and practice with server-side scripting in my current situation??<br />
<br />
I'm new to server-side scripting but would like to eventually try them all:PHP,ASP,CGI Scripts using Perl.<br />
<br />
Do i just need to get a new web account where this stuff is supported??<br />
<br />
Also, on a completely different subject, is there any unrestricted telnet access out there where you dont need a web account......im asking cause the tutorial wanted me to use a telnet program as a client to practice with 'GET requests' from a web server to see the html output that would normally be received by a web browser. <br />
<br />
Thanks<!--content-->What kind of connection are you on. Because you can run all of your stuff off your comp as a server but if you get a lot of traffic it is server side and it will lag up so you are going to want to be on some sort of a t1 or t3, I dont know what university ethernets run off of these days.<!--content-->Universities typically run directly from T-3 backbones and yes, I also would suggest you set-up Apache or similar on a stand-alone machine.<!--content-->I wonder which is more costly t3 or oc3... that is something to read up on, I wonder which is faster too.<!--content-->y'all said"<br />
<br />
Also, on a completely different subject, is there any unrestricted telnet access out there where you dont need a web account......im asking cause the tutorial wanted me to use a telnet program as a client to practice with 'GET requests' from a web server to see the html output that would normally be received by a web browser. <br />
<br />
Thanks <br />
<br />
<br />
a telnet program comes with win9x<br />
<br />
click start, run<br />
then type<br />
telnet address<br />
replacing the word address with the site's url.<br />
hope than helps<!--content-->

Back