MySQL inclusion/exclusion of posts

BomioblindRon

This post is taking a substantial amount of time to type because I'm trying to be as clear as possible, so please bear with me if it is still unclear. Basically, what I have are a table of posts in the database which users can add privacy settings to. \[code\]ID | owner_id | post | other_info | privacy_level (int value)\[/code\]From there, users can add their privacy details, allowing it to be viewable by all [privacy_level = 0), friends (privacy_level = 1), no one (privacy_level = 3), or specific people or filters (privacy_level = 4). For privacy levels specifying specific people (4), the query will reference the table "post_privacy_includes_for" in a subquery to see if the user (or a filter the user belongs to) exists in a row in the table.\[code\]ID | post_id | user_id | list_id\[/code\]Also, the user has the ability to prevent some people from viewing their post in within a larger group by excluding them (e.g., Having it set for everyone to view but hiding it from a stalker user). For this, another reference table is added, "post_privacy_exclude_from" - it looks identical to the setup as "post_privacy_includes_for".My problem is that this does not scale. At all. At the moment, there are about 1-2 million posts, the majority of them set to be viewable by everyone. For each post on the page it must check to see if there is a row that is excluding the post from being shown to the user - this moves really slow on a page that can be filled with 100-200 posts. It can take up to 2-4 seconds, especially when additional constraints are added to the query.This also creates extremely large and complex queries that are just... awkward.\[code\]SELECT t.*FROM posts tWHERE ( (t.privacy_level = 3 AND t.owner_id = ?) OR (t.privacy_level = 4 AND EXISTS ( SELECT i.id FROM PostPrivacyIncludeFor i WHERE i.user_id = ? AND i.thought_id = t.id) OR t.privacy_level = 4 AND t.owner_id = ?) OR (t.privacy_level = 4 AND EXISTS (SELECT i2.id FROM PostPrivacyIncludeFor i2 WHERE i2.thought_id = t.id AND EXISTS (SELECT r.id FROM FriendFilterIds r WHERE r.list_id = i2.list_id AND r.friend_id = ?)) OR t.privacy_level = 4 AND t.owner_id = ?) OR (t.privacy_level = 1 AND EXISTS (SELECT G.id FROM Following G WHERE follower_id = t.owner_id AND following_id = ? AND friend = 1) OR t.privacy_level = 1 AND t.owner_id = ?) OR (NOT EXISTS (SELECT e.id FROM PostPrivacyExcludeFrom e WHERE e.thought_id = t.id AND e.user_id = ? AND NOT EXISTS (SELECT e2.id FROM PostPrivacyExcludeFrom e2 WHERE e2.thought_id = t.id AND EXISTS (SELECT l.id FROM FriendFilterIds l WHERE l.list_id = e2.list_id AND l.friend_id = ?))) AND t.privacy_level IN (0, 1, 4)) AND t.owner_id = ?ORDER BY t.created_at LIMIT 100\[/code\](mock up query, similar to the query I use now in Doctrine ORM. It's a mess, but you get what I am saying.)I guess my question is, how would you approach this situation to optimize it? Is there a better way to set up my database? I'm willing to completely scrap the method I have currently built up, but I wouldn't know what to move onto.Thanks guys.Updated: Fix the query to reflect the values I defined for privacy level above (I forgot to update it because I simplified the values)

Back