MySQL and PHP

liunx

1) Why do you need to use MySQL with PHP? What do the two languages do differently?

2) If my host already supports MySQL and PHP, do I still need to go through all the complicated setp-up procedures?1) you don't NEED to. PHP can connect to any kind of database, AFAIK, and you only need MySQL (or something else) if you actually want to use a database, which is what it is, more or less. or implies rather.

2) ask yr host. probably yes.3)Yeah, I am going to do databasing. So why not use MySQL by itself? What will PHP do to it?

4)What's the difference between SQL and MySQL?3) PHP just tells it what to do. you can use a variety of languages, really. but you need to be able to open a connection and do stuff, like move things around, read fields, and things like that. without an interface of some sort, you're stuck with nothing incredibly usable (or pretty) for others.

4) Structured Query Language... MySQL is just a version of such.Now PHP and MySQL is the 1-2 punch I need to build another google? Is it the best?it's a 1-2 punch all right... but to build a search engine on even a remotely similar scale/scope as Google would require a different tactic... say, ASP + Access (or Oracle) (a setup that would, unfortunately, require mucho dineros!). for small-to-medium -sized prjects, though, it's wonderful.