my freakin form

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Now before you start getting angry about posting this, I will tell you that I have looked at the other post that talks about forms. I didn't find that to be of any help to me.<br />
<br />
I have made a form for my site and when you have filled it out and slick the submit button it poops up a message saying "This form is being submitted by email. Submiting this form will reveal your email address to the recipient" etc. Then it loads up your default email program with a new message box open. I don't what that to happen. I want to have the form send with the results to my email without the defual email client opening. In my form action I have mailto:[email protected]. In the other post someone said that the mailto function isnt any good. <br />
>>Why is that?<br />
Also, I have looked through a tutorial type thing at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://catcode.com/formguide/index.html">http://catcode.com/formguide/index.html</a><!-- m --> and in it's for action tag it has <form action="subscribe.cgi" method="post">.<br />
It says that subscribe.cgi is some sort of script and not to worry about it because that is the job of some programmer.<br />
>>I need to know what the hell subcribe.cgi is.<br />
Also, if I use this script (.cgi) then how do I get to check what the web site visitor has said.<br />
<br />
I hope I haven't asked too much but I am really getting confused with these forms.<!--content-->Hi!<br />
<br />
The mailto action or a mailto href always launches the default email client (if there is any configured). And the default setting of email clients is to pop up the message you got.<br />
<br />
The subscribe.cgi is a server side running script. It could as well be mail.php or whatever.<br />
<br />
If your server supports PHP or another server side stuff you should better browse one of the other forums. In the PHP forum, email is an often discussed topic. I am sure you will find something there.<br />
<br />
One thing in advance: if you find some code (like in PHP) you should change your form to something like you've mentioned with the subscribe.cgi. This has to be replaced with the path and filename of the script dealing with the form data...<br />
<br />
Cheers - Pit<!--content-->Thanks for the info Pittimann. I will see if I can work out theis PHP and .cgi stuff.<!--content-->

Back