move from frames to layers

I have a page that I wrote a while back that is using frames. Management now wants it moved to the corporate website. To do that, I have to meet corporate standards and the frames have become a problem. The standards require dropdown site-navigation menus across the top of the page. These menus will not drop down over my frameset.<br />
<br />
The page consists of 3 frames, 2 across the upper half and 1 across the lower half. The upper right frame remains constant as it contains several select lists, a pair of radio buttons and a submit button. One of the select lists is built by a server side script that fetches the list items from an SQL table. The other 2 frames initially display some introductory text. After the first submit, the lower frame displays a line chart that is generated by a Java applet and the upper left frame displays a table summarizing the data in the chart. Client side JavaScript routines are used to build the table and feed data into the Java applet. This data is returned in 1 of the 2 forms using hidden fields.<br />
<br />
Here is where I am looking for some advice. If I use layers, is there a way to submit a request without having to reload the entire page. I would really like to not have to rebuild the select lists and radio buttons and then restore them to the user's choices. <br />
<br />
What I would really like to do is simply get the next batch of data and repaint the table and chart. I wrote a version of this page about a year ago when I was evaluating another web server that used XML. That allowed me to load the forms one time only and then get the new data only for each submit. Unfortunately, we didn't buy that web server.:mad: XML is not an option with the current server. Is there another way to get just the data? I don't do a lot of html, so I'm not aware of all the options that are available.<!--content-->could you use iframes insterafd of frames?<br />
<br />
if you can then drop down style sheet menu will overlap the iframe unlike in frames.<br />
<br />
To submit a page you will have to reload the page.<!--content-->

Back