most efficient way to getting variables/members

bigbrain

Which is the most semantically "correct" way to get/set variables when using OO PHP?From what I know, there are getters/setters, passing by reference and passing by value. Passing by value is slower than passing by reference, but passing by reference actually manipulates the memory of your variable. Assuming I would like to do this (or wouldn't mind at least), which is more semantically correct/more efficient?I've been using the getter/setter type when dealing with variables that are passed around the object. I find this to be semantically correct and easier to "read" (no long list function arguments). But I think it's less efficient.Consider this example (of course it's contrived):\[code\]class bogus{ var $member; __construct(){ $foo = "bar" $this->member = $foo; $this->byGetter(); $this->byReference($foo); $this->byValue($foo); } function byGetter();{ $baz =& $this->member; //set the object property into a local scope variable for speed //do calculations with the value of $baz (which is the same as $member) return 1; } function byReference(&$baz){ //$baz is already set as local. //It would be the same as setting a property and then referencing it //do calculations with the value of $baz (same as $this->member) return 1; } function byValue($baz){ //$baz is already set as local. //It would be the same as setting a property and then assigning it //do calculations with the value of $baz return 1; }}\[/code\]

Back