Make several cells of an HTML table appear joined without being so

ALI BABA

I have a table in html and I need to make several cells appear joined, without being actually joined. This because each cell must have a different background.So I need to take away the right border from the left most cell;take away the left border from the right most cells;take away both border from the central cells.Here is an example where I have a table with two rows, and 7 cells. In the second row, the cells should appear as being only 2 cells. One spanning 5 columns and one spanning 7.\[code\]<table><tr><td>foo</td><td>foo</td><td>foo</td><td>foo</td><td>foo</td><td>foo</td><td>foo</td></tr><tr><td style="background-color:white; border-right: blank; border-left: solid;" >foo</td><td style="background-color:green; border-right: blank; border-left: blank;" ></td><td style="background-color:black; border-right: blank; border-left: blank;" ></td><td style="background-color:yellow; border-right: blank; border-left: blank;" ></td><td style="background-color:blue; border-right: solid; border-left: blank;" ></td><td style="background-color:red; border-right: blank; border-left: solid;" >foo</td><td style="background-color:pink; border-right: solid; border-left: blank;" ></td></tr></table>\[/code\]But then this is still not enough because there is still some background of the table that is shown between the cells. How do I take of that?Many thanks.