Locking a page?

liunx

Dear campers,<br />
<br />
I have a pop-up window that is going to follow the generally trend and be rather annoying to the average jack. I want to lock the page so the user cannot click on anything to highlight the text etc, and transports someone to the site i am promoting when clicked on.<br />
<br />
I have tried using a DIV and a small transparent gif image to cover everything up and yet keep things visible at the same time, but it doesnt want to work.<br />
<br />
Is there a surefire way to make the page 'locked' or 'fixed' anyone knows of to save me going thought the palavour of finding a solution.<br />
<br />
Thanks people<br />
<br />
Robert Flack<br />
Bassdesign!<!--content-->as far as I know you can't do that without making the page one big image.<!--content-->I agree with scoutt on this one, i don't think there is another way except making the page a picture by screen dumping it.<!--content-->this is something you just have to try to do to find out that it works. This is a quick IE only solution, and definetely not the only one:<br />
<br />
<br />
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"><br />
<br />
<html><br />
<head><br />
<title>Untitled</title><br />
<style type="text/css"><br />
#divScroller1 {position:absolute; overflow:hidden; z-index:9; left:0; top:0px; width:100%; height:100%; clip:rect(0px, 100%, 100%, 0px); visbility:visible; border-width:0px; border-color:#000000; border-style:solid; }<br />
</style><br />
</head><br />
<body marginheight=0 marginwidth=0 rightmargin=0 bottommargon=0 topmargin=0 leftmatgin=0><br />
<br />
<br />
<div id="divScroller1"><br />
<table width=100% height=100% cellpadding=0 cellspacing=0 border=0 ><br />
<tr valign=top onClick="document.location='http://www.yahoo.com'"><br />
<td height=100% width=100%>&nbsp;&nbsp;</td><br />
</tr><br />
</table><br />
</div><br />
<br />
<br><br><br><br />
<h1>main content</h1><br><br><br><br />
<A href=http://www.htmlforums.com/archive/index.php/"www.wahoo.com">wahoo</a><br />
</body><br />
</html><!--content-->hi guys,<br />
<br />
thanks for the help but i managed pinch a bit of JS to disable left click on things other than links etc. it effectively locks the page.<!--content-->curious as to why you don't want people to highlight your text and copy it. all they would have to do it print the screen. also even with the left click only working on links I probably still be able to highlight the text. do you have a smple for us?<!--content-->http://www.smile-studio.co.uk/smile/popup/<br />
<br />
the reason i dont want people to be able to 'highlight' text or do anything with the left mouse button is that it enables dragging. It was previously possible on the above page to drag the page about (as it is within a pop-up framework) which looked very unprofessional. <br />
<br />
I couldnt care less if people want to copy the promotional garbage on the pop-up window, it's more a cosmetic issue.<br />
<br />
Yes, if you are determined enough you can use the hyperlinked areas to drag the page skew-wiff, but i take my hat off to any user who bothers to try, and say fair game, you've got me.<br />
<br />
You'll be able to see the script by right clicking on the window and viewing the source.<br />
<br />
Happy Camping!<!--content-->ahh you made a chromeless popup. that makes more since. if it was jsut a regular popup then you wouldn't be able to move it like that.<br />
<br />
makes all the sense in the world.<!--content-->

Back