Linking out of a frame page????

liunx

I hope I make myself clear in this message. Here goes. <br />
I have a 2 frame page, with my site heading htm at the top and another .htm page in the bottom 7/8 of the page. In the .gif chart that occupies the bottom part's htm page, there is a box for each individual. Each box contains a hyperlink to that person's listing. My problem is that when I click on an individual's box I am taken back to the individual's listing, but the heading frame comes with it! Also, the address stays on the chart page. It looks like I am just replacing the bottom frame. You can see this on my site, <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.cassilly.org">www.cassilly.org</a><!-- w --> . Just click on the "Chart | Ireland" menu, and then click on the O'Cassily box. <br />
(The .htm page containing the .gif contains the hyperlink. This link is within an "Area" tag which is within an overall "Map" tag. This htm page is written by my charting progam.) How do I link out of the chart box so I get completely out of the frame page and not have the heading follow me????<br />
It is easier seen than explained!<br />
Thanks in advance for help!<!--content-->Easiest solution - design without frames.<!--content-->target="_top"<br />
<br />
(vladdy is on a roll today :eek: trying to convert everybody!)<br />
<br />
;) k<!--content-->No, just trying to show the light.... Why design with frames when they are no longer a part of HTML...<br />
<br />
You have not seen me in proselytizing mood yet :D :D :D<!--content-->I was thinkign about not using frames. A bunch of smaller pages would be easier to change when new genealogy info comes in and would link properly. Using a large gif would require a zooming device, which I am not able to build, anyway. (I saw a nice one for $1500.00!) I think I will take the simple way out and not use frames.<br />
Thanks!<!--content-->So Jim...<br />
<br />
I saw that you use ASP...<br />
Therefore you can use Includes (SSI) for your menu (and any other static parts of your page).<br />
<br />
This can help reduce (if not eliminate) your current reliance on Frames.<br />
Just insert a reference to your Include(s) on every page... and this way the menu doesn't have to sit in a frame on top.<br />
<br />
Just a thought.<br />
<br />
always thinking...<br />
;) k<!--content-->I know frames are bad. This one page is the first and lanst time I will ever use them again! <br />
I do use SSI extensively. The problem I was trying to solve is the gif will be eventually many times the width of the screen and I was trying to keep the heading constantly at the top while scrolling, horizontally and vertically. Now, I seee more troubles with frames then I thought. Like I said above, many pages would be easier to manage in a genealogy tree -- if I use one large page it would be extremly difficult to put newly discovered people in the middle, whereas with many *fast loading* regular pages it would be easy to put them in.<br />
Thanks!<!--content-->While I think that your tree can be better presented without any gifs at all - just absolutely positioned divs with information pulled from a DB, here is some zooming code I've been playing with...<br />
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.vladdy.net/Demos/ImageAdjustments.html">http://www.vladdy.net/Demos/ImageAdjustments.html</a><!-- m --><br />
as you see you need a SPARK workstation to get any kind of smoothness out of it... :D :D<!--content-->WHOA!!!!<br />
HOW COOL IS THAT!!!<br />
<br />
What do you need in order to do that?<br />
(i'm guessing that i can't just pirate your source code and sail-off with any worthwhile treasure, huh?)<br />
<br />
I hope that your in the mood to share, Vladdy (otherwise you are just a big tease :eek: ).<br />
<br />
So... come clean.<br />
How do I get that to work for me? ;)<br />
<br />
curiouser and curiouser....<br />
;) k<!--content-->In Netscape 7 it works very smothly! In IE 6, it wobbles. What causes it to wobble???? (I'm using 2000 Pro)<!--content-->khaki, I have not put any code protection in this one. Use mozilla to save as - it does a better job. You should have 2 js files, 1 css and 1 image. Let me know if you still have trouble, I can zip and e-mail them to you. <br />
<br />
I'm not exactly sure why it is jumpy in IE other than different browsers - different implementation of things and IE sucks anyway :D :D :D<!--content-->

Back