lesser known useful tags...

liunx

i recently learned of <label> and <optgroup> and their powers. Are there any other interesting tags that I may not be aware of?<!--content-->I don't know: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.xhtmlcoder.com/xhtml.htm">http://www.xhtmlcoder.com/xhtml.htm</a><!-- m --> Essentially it depends upon how you use semantics the "title" attribute and <abbr> element are not used my many people.<!--content-->Just because hardly anybody ever uses it when they are supposed to, <address>.<!--content--><tbody>?<br />
<br />
<head><!--content-->ALot of people dont know about <span> because the <div> element has overtaken it in popularity.<!--content-->there's an old netscrap tag by the name of <spacer><!--content-->Originally posted by buntine <br />
ALot of people dont know about <span> because the <div> element has overtaken it in popularity. I still find myself using span quite a bit though. Its a shame that people get it in their mind that the only way to lay out sites is by tables and they can only put stuff in tables, or people can only put stuff in divs. Sure they are block level, but what if you just need to style a short string!<!--content-->Span and div are in the same category, with span being the inline tag, and div being the block level tag.<!--content-->Originally posted by pyro <br />
Span and div are in the same category, with span being the inline tag, and div being the block level tag. which would make them not in the same category :confused: since one is block and one is inline :D . I am just giving you a hard time.<!--content-->17.10 Adding structure to forms: the FIELDSET and LEGEND elements<!--content-->Originally posted by PeOfEo <br />
which would make them not in the same category :confused: since one is block and one is inline :D. I am just giving you a hard time. They are both in the same category because they are both non-semantic tags. ;)<!--content-->ahhh there is that s word again :p.<!--content-->Originally posted by spufi <br />
Just because hardly anybody ever uses it when they are supposed to, <address>. <br />
exactly what does it do? maybe if people knew, they would use it.<!--content-->Not enough people are using <marquee> or <blink> these days. (just kidding)<!--content-->Originally posted by rhsunderground <br />
exactly what does it do? maybe if people knew, they would use it. It denotes addresses. Gee that seems like an easy one. ;)<!--content-->Originally posted by ray326 <br />
It denotes addresses. Gee that seems like an easy one. ;) <br />
well obviously. there are several types of addresses, though. email, URL, etc.<!--content-->optgroup (<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.htmlhelp.com/reference/html40/forms/optgroup.html">http://www.htmlhelp.com/reference/html4 ... group.html</a><!-- m -->)<!--content-->Fang, thanks for that link. I have an immmediate use for it.<!--content-->Originally posted by benjamin <br />
i recently learned of <label> and <optgroup> and their powers. Are there any other interesting tags that I may not be aware of? <br />
<br />
Just pick the one you like (make sure there is no "D" next to it) <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/index/elements.html">http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/index/elements.html</a><!-- m --><!--content-->accesskey attribute for input elements.<br />
<br />
<input type="text" name="test" id="test" accesskey="N" /><br />
<br />
Allows users to navigate to the form control by using keyboard hotkeys. Usually used in conjunction with the Alt button. So for the example above, the hotkey would be ALT + N. Although in the newest version of Firefox you would have to add the Shift key to the key combination so it would be ALT + SHIFT + N.<!--content--><acronym></acronym>. That is something quite under-used. Used when an abbreviation of something can be 'spoken' as a plain, common-launguage word. "N.A.S.A" is 'spoken' as a word "NASA" and would be a <acronym title="National Aeronautics and Space Administration">N.A.S.A.</acronym>. <br />
I do not believe that I have ever seen any web page, ever, use <acronym>... I have seen "<abbr> </abbr>" for 'abbreviated' phrasiology like "F.B.I." (in which you are speaking the letters, not pronouncing them phonetically as a single word).<!--content-->Yes, I have but rarely use acronym: Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions<!--content-->I just came across something the other day that I haven't heard in probably two decades... -what is the " # " called?<br />
<br />
We typically just call it the "pound" symbol. Or "number". But it's actual name is "octothorpe" I beleive. Something left-over from when rotary phones were being challenged by newcomer 'pushbutton' or 'touchtone' phones.<br />
<br />
When I saw that word I had to think a minute, -what the heck are they talking about?? Some kind of sea creature, maybe?? Hmm..<!--content-->The octothorpe is the correct name, and means eight something. No, it is not from rotary phones, or any type of phone at all XD. It is from quite a few hundred years ago, i'm guessing 600-1000 years. the reason being the shape for it, is it is a village (the center square) surrounded by eight fields, hence the "octo" part of it. ;)<br />
<br />
No lesser tags to be known from me now!<!--content-->Not enough people are using <marquee> or <blink> these days. (just kidding)<br />
<br />
LOL.... LOL.... LOL....<br />
<br />
<br />
label is an essential tag if you have a form.<br />
<br />
also fieldset and legend<!--content--><acronym></acronym>. That is something quite under-used. Hey. My site uses the acronym tag a bunch of time. In addition, I have JavaScript setup so that if you click on any acronym (that happens to have the right onclick event) then it takes you to Wikipedia to show you the Wiki page for whatever it was....<br />
<br />
Lesser known tags..... No I don't know of any, but there's some mentioned here I've never heard of before.<!--content-->The octothorpe is the correct name, and means eight something. No, it is not from rotary phones, or any type of phone at all XD. It is from quite a few hundred years ago, i'm guessing 600-1000 years. the reason being the shape for it, is it is a village (the center square) surrounded by eight fields, hence the "octo" part of it. ;)...<br />
<br />
Me not being even born 600-1000 years ago, would not have known that. :D Thanks, -will remember that in case I am ever on a gameshow and asked that question and need to consult a 'lifeline' for the answer... :D <br />
But when touchtone phone were being introduced circa early 60s, they needed an additional 'symbol' that rotary phones did not have (or maybe rotary phones DID have "#", -haven't seen one of those in decades!), so they chose the "octothorpe". -This name I have not heard in vernacular useage since the mid-60s/early 70s maybe, read it recently on some trivia site...<!--content--><dl> <!-- A definition list, everyone should use these more --><br />
<dt>Term</dt><br />
<dd>A limited period of time.</dd><br />
<dd>A word or group of words having a particular meaning.</dd><br />
<dt>Word</dt><br />
<dd> A sound or a combination of sounds, or its representation in writing or printing, that symbolizes and communicates a meaning and may consist of a single morpheme or of a combination of morphemes.</dd><br />
<dd>A set of bits constituting the smallest unit of addressable memory.</dd><br />
</dl><br />
<br />
<!-- Also: --><ninja>This text is invisible and deadly.</ninja><!-- :p --><!--content-->I completely forgot about the definition list tags. :p I love the ninja though! Does that actually work?!?<!--content-->No idea, I guess it might.<!--content-->No, definitely doesn't! I tried it :p<!--content-->Has anyone besides me realized this thread was dead for about 2-1/2 years before it got resurrected? :rolleyes:<!--content-->

Back