Launching a .exe file from an html page

windows

I have created a training CD for my companies web application. It is mainly in the form of Lotus Screencam tutorials. However, I have created the menu page in html with links to the various tutorials. However, whenever I link to one of the tutorials, I get the "Save to Disk or Run from Current Location" message box. How can I avoid this and go straight to the Screencam exe?<br />
<br />
Thanks.<br />
Andy<!--content-->Well - that is the standard server response for anything other than a ---<br />
<br />
htm, cgi, pl, etc. etc. type file.<br />
<br />
And of course - if the user doesn't have the software that can open the file you prepared for him/her - they are stuffed!<br />
<br />
Remember... "Run from Current Location" may well be the best you can hope for -- by the way - what is wrong with this? Doesn't it take you to Screencam?<br />
d.<!--content-->I hope for God's sake that this will never be possible. Imagine what the web would be like, if pages could run executables without confirmation from the user. You probably couldn't even turn on your computer before running a virus.<!--content-->Originally posted by aslefo <br />
I hope that this will never be possible. Imagine what the web would be like, if pages could run executables without confirmation from the user. You probably couldn't even turn on your computer before running a virus. <br />
<br />
Yep.<!--content-->Running apps from the internet is possible with an applet or an ActiveX control but I'm not a programmer so can not provide details. <br />
<br />
Kevin<!--content-->I've heard of that also.<!--content-->Originally posted by kevin <br />
Running apps from the internet is possible with an applet or an ActiveX control but I'm not a programmer so can not provide details. <br />
<br />
Kevin true..but I suppose most people have disabled ActiveX. I have!<!--content-->Originally posted by Mark <br />
true..but I suppose most people have disabled ActiveX. I have! <br />
<br />
I think you are incorrect in your assumption. Most browsers are set to medium security (default setting) which allows signed activeX controls but does prompt when one is being Download <!--more-->ed from a website. <br />
<br />
Regards,<br />
Kevin<!--content-->

Back