Is this the right place?

liunx

Hello there!<br />
<br />
Years ago I found a very good html manual (made in Finland, I believe), and I wondered if there are any updates, if people still simply program in html, or if I'm as far behind as a slug with a huge lack of vitamins...<!--content-->Hi<br />
there are many good menu made in Flash, JavaScript too<br />
Using Flash to make a menu is really cool<br />
JavaScript menu is liek the pop-up menu, when your mouse is over a section, a sub-menu appears<br />
There are still many people using html to menu,so I don't think you're far behind!<br />
why don't you post the good menu you found a year ago so we can evaluate it?<!--content-->he said manual not menu<!--content-->Hey PhilippeVdB, this probably belongs somewhere else, but I'm sure the Mods will take care of it.<br />
<br />
HTML is still used very widly today, as far as I can tell. I use mostly all HTML but there are so many other benifits to using other programing languages. HTML, for the most part, stays as a base for most webpages, that I see anyways. More advanced pages, like this forum, use PHP and other languages like that... Which I will leave up to someone who knows anything about it to tell you more about them.<!--content-->Oops, I found this reply to another newcomer in another thread:<br />
<br />
Hi, Welcome to this forum <br />
The people here are experts in programming <br />
<br />
This IS scary... or is it just... HUMOUR?<!--content-->Actually there are some very intelligent people here that know a ton about anything you might need to know here. As long as it is computer related, and can be done, you most likely will get the help you need, quite fast at that. And if they cant help you, they will tell you who can.<br />
I've been to many different forums, and this is by far the more helpful one.<br />
<br />
Good luck :rocker:<!--content-->About that manual: I just found the print I made of it... It dates from...1997, was made by a certain J. Korpela, and this is his current address:<br />
<br />
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.cs.tut.fi/%7Ejkorpela/">http://www.cs.tut.fi/%7Ejkorpela/</a><!-- m --><br />
<br />
I didn't read it all through, but it seems as interesting as what I found five years ago.<!--content-->:hotbounce WHOA:hotbounce<!--content-->howdey! i searched threw some of the pages and found that the link you posted gives a verry indepth in and out of html. all of the information is basically the same for today. The adaptation of new scripting languages and compressed file viewers via web browser (like flash) have become verry adapt to development of pages. Also, more and more sites are leaning to server side languages (perl, php) to produce pages like you see here.<br />
<br />
for most it's about having fun and learning something new... for others, its about making $.<br />
<br />
<br />
hope it helps!<br />
chris<pixelmonkey>:monkey:<!--content-->I feel HTMl will always be a core and main language for the net for 2 reasons.<br />
<br />
1: It is extremely easy to pick up and learn. With a little drive you can get quite good at it in a short space of time. Most of the net is filled with pages like these.<br />
<br />
2: Most other languages use HTML as a skeleton and then use other formats to flesh a page out. Even when HTML 4.01 becomes XHTML with cross platform standardisation it will will be HTML in essence.<br />
<br />
HTML is here for good, like it or not. Well at least for the next 15 to 20 years.<br />
<br />
My suggested book while we are on it is, Web Design In A Nutshell published by O'Reilly. Classy book.<!--content-->

Back