Is this possible? If so how?

liunx

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to link to bookmarks in Microsoft Word Documents from a HTML link on a seperate page.<br />
<br />
In a nutshell we have Word Documents that are hundreds of pages long with bookmarks everywhere. I want to create a HTML page on our Intranet that would just contain links to these bookmarks. Then, obviously, when they're clicked on it would open Word and jump to the relevant bookmark. <br />
<br />
Normal HTML bookmarks don't work they just open the document.<br />
<br />
Thanks<!--content-->although that sounds like a cool idea I don't think you can.<!--content-->Also, word documents are much larger than their HTML counterparts. If you really have huge documents, you should consider putting them into a database. Then linking to the individual pages would be a snap, and the Download <!--more--> time would be miniscule. <br />
<br />
Finally, there most likey is some way to simulate 'clicking' on the bookmark from a html link to a word document. Its probably an active x control that would have to interact with word directly. You have to remember that your asking the surfers computer to do an action... and usually that means that the user would have to accept activex and confirm that it was ok. pretty expensive for what you get.<!--content-->You can save your Word docs as html docs, then create a "table of contents" type list that will go to anchors that you specify in the documents. This toc would go at the top of your web page? <br />
<br />
Perhaps your word docs are so long it's cumbersome to save them as html? And that's the whole point of your question?:D<!--content-->Dude if you use D/Weaver or Fpage [eww] ;)<br />
Y not paste the huge doc into your intranet template and then add named anchors?<br />
Or amI missing somet' here?<br />
Do they specifically have to be in word format?<br />
<br />
d<!--content-->

Back