Invisable Scrollbar (automatic)

windows

I've seen this done before but I have no clue what code is used to create the effect. Or what it would be called. The concept is somewhat simple, a scroll bar that scrolls when the mouse is hovered over the edge of the box/frame area. For example if I needed the page to scroll down I'd hover the mouse towards the bottom of the frame. For scrolling right again put the mouse along the right side, ect.. I'm not sure if this is an HTML code or perhaps Java script. Any information (or code) that anyone has would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!<br />
<br />
Audrey<!--content-->I've seen this done before but I have no clue what code is used to create the effect. <br />
<br />
If you're using frames it would probably be easier to use auto scroll bars...<br />
scrollbars=auto<br />
<br />
If the bottom of the page just happens to fall at the end of a paragraph then users may not realise that there's more to follow. Therefore they may not check using your method.<br />
<br />
If you use the auto method then the scroll bar (or bars) would appear as required, giving the user a visual cue that there's more information on that page.<br />
<br />
Just a thought....<br />
<br />
Otherwise, I haven't a clue, but it sounds like a javascript type problem to me....<br />
<br />
Good luck<!--content-->I can hardly imagine you would want a page where it is not obvious that there is more content than shown in the window. If users don't know that they can scroll (in whichever way) it would be pure coincidence if they'd find out they can. The only thing I can think about that comes close to what you want, is to place an onmouseover-link on each side of your page, like "up", "down", "left" and "right". Maybe you should explain a little more about what you want.<br />
<br />
Cheers, Jochem :cool:<!--content-->Hello, thank you for the help so far! I've created regular scroll bars for most my pages, of course I've changed the color code to allow them to better blend with that of the pages. The page I'm creating is made up of 5 frames, a small one that spans the top, three in the center sizes of "20%", "55%", and "20%" and the last mimicing the one at the top (spaning all the way across again.) <br />
<br />
Each of the outside frames (all but the 55% frame) contain links to information, all of which appear within the center frame (the 55% one.) Now my problem before was that the horizontal scroll bar kept appearing, even when there was no real reason for it. The text fit within the frame, but the scrollbar was still evident. I've since then added a code to prevent the horizontal scrolling, to eliminate the scroll bar (which wasn't appealing to the eye.) <br />
<br />
Now my current problem is that some pages include images, and I've sized them down to fit with the frame, but unfortunately it only works for certain screen resolutions. Those with a small screen will only see part of the picture within the center frame, and won't be able to scroll to the right to see the rest. Of course I can simply take the code off of these pages and allow the bar, but I was hoping to trick it a little and have it invisable. Call it a whim of sorts to see if its possible, or even worth it ;) <br />
<br />
Of course if there's no code to allow automatic scrolling, such as the mouseover mentioned above, there is still the option of changing the color codes of the scroll bar to "appear" invisible, simply making it match the background and leaving only the arrows showing, and I may go with this option. <br />
<br />
I do appreciate everyone's help and thoughts on the matter, as well as the time you've taken to review this! <br />
<br />
Many thanks and well wishes to you this holiday :D<!--content-->Hello, thank you for the help so far! <br />
<br />
Why don't you use thumbnail images that appear full size in a seperate browser window when clicked.<br />
<br />
Look at the picture galleries on a web site I maintain...<br />
<br />
<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.codsalldramaticsociety.co.uk">www.codsalldramaticsociety.co.uk</a><!-- w --><br />
<br />
I have the code for this if you need it.<br />
<br />
Regards<!--content-->

Back