interface stretch question

liunx

Hi everybody, hope the night is going good. I'm very new to web design. Currently, I'm whipping up my first graphic interface for my homely websight. I'm wondering how to make a background graphic that stretches at the page gets more text added to it. At the top, its going to have a few buttons for links, and the rest will be added text like a news section. All I know about it so far is that I have to make a table. I'm guessing to put the table tag up, with the image file, then some special tags to make the graphic stretch as needed. Am I on the right track? Do I need to explain my question better? If I do, please say so.<!--content-->There are a lot of options for handling graphical backgrounds in CSS, as well, but there are people here who are a lot better at that than I am, so I'll leave that to them. For plain old HTML, however, here's the deal: <br />
<br />
If you use a background graphic in the body tag it will tile to cover the whole page regardless of what's on it, assuming that you haven't told it not to. If you put it in a table but not the whole body of the page it'll tile to fill the table. The same goes if you just want the background in a table cell. Netscape 4x and below doesn't handle backgrounds in tables exactly the same way as IE and other, newer browsers. In fact it handles them pretty badly.<!--content-->okay nice answer zenyenta. For starters, I'm going to stick with html for the table I plan on creating. So the tag would be <br />
<td img=scr"image.file"> <br />
Content of table here<br />
</td><br />
this code is a big guess, maybe someone can point me in a better direction?<!--content-->This is just for a cell in the table, but if you want it in the whole table it'd be the same, only in the table tag<br />
<br />
<td background="image.file">Content of cell</td><!--content-->

Back