input form

liunx

i have an input form which has an onclick statement which activates some js:<br />
<br />
<form name="inputform"><br />
<input type="password" style="background-color: lightgrey; width: 100;" name="inputbox" value="" maxlength="10"><br />
<input type="button" style="background-color: #CE0018; color: white; font-weight: bold; width: 135;" name="button" value="Submit Password"<br />
onmouseover=(document.inputform.button.style.backgroundColor="#029AFE") <br />
onmouseout=(document.inputform.button.style.backgroundColor="#CE0018") <br />
onclick="loadPage()"><br />
</form><br />
<br />
this works fine.<br />
<br />
but . . . i would really like the form to accept input whether the person clicks the button OR hits the enter key.<br />
<br />
how do i do that?<!--content--><input type="password" style="background-color: lightgrey; width: 100;" name="inputbox" value="" maxlength="10" onkeydown="if ((event.which && event.which == 13) || (event.keyCode && event.keyCode == 13)) {loadPage(); return false;} else return true;"><br />
<br />
Adapted from <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.faqts.com/knowledge_base/view.phtml/aid/2230/fid/129">http://www.faqts.com/knowledge_base/vie ... 30/fid/129</a><!-- m --><!--content-->gil -<br />
<br />
thanks for the solution and link.<br />
<br />
it works great with IE6 :) <br />
<br />
does not work with NS7 :(<!--content-->dave -<br />
<br />
replacing the button type with submit seems to have no effect in either IE6 or NS7.<!--content-->Originally posted by Beach Bum <br />
does not work with NS7 :( <br />
<br />
Bummer. It sort-of works in NS 6, but is also tries to submit. So, I change the form tag:<br />
<br />
<form onSubmit="return false"><br />
<br />
Maybe that will help.<br />
<br />
Here's my test page:<br />
<br />
<form onSubmit="return false"><br />
<input type="password" <br />
style="background-color: lightgrey; width: 100;" <br />
name="inputbox" value="" <br />
maxlength="10" <br />
onkeydown="if ((event.which && event.which == 13) || (event.keyCode && event.keyCode == 13)) {alert('c/r'); return false;} else return true;"><br />
<input type="submit"><br />
</form><!--content-->gil -<br />
<br />
don't want to do that as i also want the button to work.<br />
<br />
just looking to make the input more friendly as some people just hit enter as a reaction when they finish typing something.<br />
<br />
i will take what you gave me earlier. the folks using IE can either push the button OR hit enter. the NS folks will just have to push the button. not a big deal as the button is right in front of them and 90% of the folks are using IE anyway.<!--content-->Originally posted by Beach Bum <br />
don't want to do that as i also want the button to work.<br />
<br />
Your button will still work, because it doesn't submit the form. You are simply using the onClick to change pages. That function is not negated by adding the 'onSubmit="return false"' to the form tag.<br />
<br />
If you had used an actual 'input type="submit"' or an 'input type="image"' (also does a submit by default), then I could understand your reasoning. But you didn't even have an 'action="whatever"' in your form tag, so I assumed you were not expecting to actually submit the form. If you did, you would see the default action of reloading the same page: the location bar would contain the url with "?inputbox=" and whatever you typed in the password box.<br />
<br />
My example included a submit button only for testing. Probably should have removed it when I posted. The default for a textbox without a submit button in the form is to submit when the user presses the "enter" key. Sorry for the confusion.<!--content-->still does not work in NS7. as i said above - not that big a deal. thanks for your help in getting it going on IE.<!--content-->turns out the answer is simple. needed to put an action statement in the form tag as follows:<br />
<br />
<form name="inputform" action="javascript:loadPage()"><br />
<br />
works in both IE6 and NS7. now both the button and the enter key run the loadPage function.<br />
<br />
just wanted to post the final resolution in case anyone searches on a similar question.<!--content-->

Back