Include Header or footer file in html/css?

liunx

How do you include a Header or footer file in html/css?<br />
<br />
Can you do it the way you include a css?: <br />
<br />
<head><br />
<link rel="stylesheet" href=http://www.htmlforums.com/archive/index.php/"styles.css" type="text/css"><br />
</head><!--content-->u need to use SSI<br />
<!--#include virtual="your-path-to/your-file.shtml"--><!--content-->thanks - I discovered that option just after posting. I have always used asp or cfm includes, but need this for a unix server - sans asp (obviously), cf or php. There aren't any platform constraints for running ssi/shtml are there? (unix or necessary extensions running on server)<!--content-->It will only be constrained by the HTTP server, not the server OS, like Unix. Most Nix boxes use Apache, so if Apache is setup to allow SSI there should be no problem.<!--content-->you can run ASP (chilisoft) on unix, and I believe that CF will now run on a unix box. As kevin mentioned, it is the job of the server to parse out and 'include' linked code.<!--content-->I want to refer to global header & footer files and when testing on my NT server, this works fine. However, I've asked our UNIX-Apache based group to implement this and they are having trouble referring to includes that aren't in the same directory. Any ideas why? <br />
<br />
This works:<br />
<!--#include file="header.htm" --> <br />
<br />
But not this:<br />
<!--#include file="../header.htm" --><!--content--><!--#include file="" --> is usde when the file your including is in the same directyory.<br />
<br />
<!--#include virtual=""--> is used to include files in different directories.<!--content-->

Back