ijqevtty

Hi,<br />
I just joined up for this forum today, I was wondering how could I program "form processing scripts"? I have recently been getting into forms, I have the Sams 24 hour do it yourself book. hehe.<br />
<br />
I also keep hearing about these CGI scripts? what on earth are they, my book was mentioning something about them when I was doing forms.<br />
<br />
Anyway, thanks<br />
<br />
>> Reiken<!--content-->Originally posted by Reiken <br />
Hi,<br />
I just joined up for this forum today, I was wondering how could I program "form processing scripts"? I have recently been getting into forms, I have the Sams 24 hour do it yourself book. hehe.<br />
<br />
I also keep hearing about these CGI scripts? what on earth are they, my book was mentioning something about them when I was doing forms.<br />
<br />
Anyway, thanks<br />
<br />
>> Reiken <br />
Well for processing form scripts... You would need to have a form and some idea of how you want to process it. If you want a form to submit a poll you would need a script that would send the information from the poll that was sent into some sort of database... I don't quite get all the web lingo so I hope I got that right...<br />
<br />
CGI is a scripting language. You need access to a CGI-Bin in order to use them.<br />
Most CGI is written in Perl, a programming language.<br />
If you have a cgi-bin tons of sites on the internet have already made cgi scripts to add to your pages...<!--content-->I have had a bit of a look into Perl before I got into C++. I am still unsure of CGI scripts, what do they do? are they the things that process my forms?<br />
<br />
I am unsure though, I want to have my "form processing script" take a small fom (name, age, area, etc), process the data and E-mail me with the information. Stuff like polls are a bit advanced for me at the moment.<br />
<br />
All the same, thanks for the help.<br />
<br />
>> Reiken<!--content-->CGI is a type of interface, most commonly done using Perl language.<br />
<br />
Perl/CGI scripts are commonly used for things such as form processing and so forth. You first create a form in an html coded page, the ACTION of that form points to the Perl script, when the form is SUBMITted, the info goes into that script, the script processes the info, sends it to a specified email, and usually transfers the visitor to a "thankyou" page.<br />
<br />
Form processing can also be done (a bit easier) using PHP instead. But that would depend on your host features provided to you.<br />
<br />
If you want a Perl email script to pick apart and learn from, there are many through here...<br />
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.hotscripts.com">http://www.hotscripts.com</a><!-- m --><br />
and a couple here...<br />
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.htmlite.com/script002.php">http://www.htmlite.com/script002.php</a><!-- m --><!--content-->ok, I get that. a CGI scripts are used to process submitted forms. So what else call perl do? or is it dedicated to making these CGI scripts, if so the scriptinbg language must be huge, maybe making a form processing script wil require more effort than first thought.<br />
<br />
Thanks<br />
<br />
>> Reiken<!--content-->Check out the HOTSCRIPTS site listed in my previous posting. You will get a good idea on all the other possibilities Perl can do.<!--content-->Perl is a server side script, e.g. it collects and process data on the server. Javascript, on the otherhand, is a client side script meaning all processing is done in the browser and nothing is written/processed on the server.<br />
<br />
Normally data which need to be collected and stored on the server, or pages which must be dynamically generated, are done server side. <br />
<br />
Forms can work both client side and server side.<br />
<br />
If all you need is to forward form data via email then you can do this client side (e.g. using javascript). If you need data to be written to a database or file on the server, or create pages dynamically from the server using data collected in the form as criteria for the page generation then you are better off looking to server side languages, like perl, php, etc<br />
<br />
To make a form which can email the data to your email address simply put this in your form tag:<br />
<form ACTION="mailto: <!-- e --><a href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a><!-- e -->"><br />
..<br />
..<br />
..<br />
<input type="submit" value="submit"<br />
</form><!--content-->Weird thread subject, Reiken...<!--content-->

Back