IE6.0 less CSS compatible than IE5.5 ?

liunx

Have anyone else experienced that MS Internet Explorer 6.0 doesn't recognize half of the CSS command that Explorer 5.5 does? (Mind you, Explorer 5.0 doesn't recognize ****...)<br />
<br />
I've formatted my pages 100% with CSS1 and they look very stylish in 5.5, and when I move to 6.0, it's utter crap!<br />
<br />
Some text just doesn't show up in certain places, no padding or margin settings are recognized, width and height is randomly skipped and certain alignements are plainly ignored... ARG!<br />
<br />
Isn't CSS2 backwards compatible with CSS1? (And yes, I have validated my CSS code and it's FINE!)<br />
<br />
Strangely, K-meleon (Gecko rendering engine from Mozilla) doesn't like my pages either, even though W3C approves them...<br />
<br />
/Robert<!--content-->Arrrg... again I have to answer my own post... this is becoming a bad trend...<br />
<br />
It appears that IE6 is simply stricter when it comes to formatting the CSS code... ho hum, who would have though?<br />
<br />
Well, turns out that I still have "invisible" text (even though I explicitly inline style color it), and SOME... SOME (ie. random ****) paddings get ignored... grr...<!--content-->Originally posted by T-ball <br />
Arrrg... again I have to answer my own post... this is becoming a bad trend...<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
That's not a bad trend, that's a good sign. I often talk to myself whether other's are listening or not. That way I leave myself fully open to correction and suggestion. (And you usually eat lunch alone ;) )<br />
It's a great feeling to figure out something yourself.<br />
<br />
You've got me thinking about a site I've been doing for work (mostly IE5's and IE5.5's). It looks great (to me) on a laptop, and soso on a CRT, and crap in Netscape. It's done up in XHTML 1.0 strict and external CSS1, but I have no idea what it'll look like in IE6. Did you source anything online specific about different IE versions capabilities with regard to the most recent HTML and CSS standards, or did you do what I usually do: Ask questions, check the answers, glean info online and then come to my own conclusions?<!--content-->Originally posted by T-ball <br />
Arrrg... again I have to answer my own post... this is becoming a bad trend...<br />
<br />
It appears that IE6 is simply stricter when it comes to formatting the CSS code... ho hum, who would have though?<br />
<br />
Well, turns out that I still have "invisible" text (even though I explicitly inline style color it), and SOME... SOME (ie. random ****) paddings get ignored... grr... <br />
Hmmm, given you waited 8 minutes I don't see how it's a bad trend that you didn't receive an answer in time. Especially given that it was 3.49 AM my time and 6.49 AM east coast US time. :D<br />
<br />
Anyway, yes IE 6 is stricter with CSS. Both the 6 browsers adhere more closely to the standards than their earlier versions. I've had no trouble so far writing stuff that works fine in IE 5.5 and IE 6 and NS 6.<br />
<br />
If you want to put up a link or your code, then maybe someone here might be able to help fix the remaining things.<br />
<br />
Neil<!--content-->Originally posted by T-ball <br />
Some text just doesn't show up in certain places, no padding or margin settings are recognized, width and height is randomly skipped and certain alignements are plainly ignored... ARG!<br />
<br />
/Robert <br />
Calm down there big fella :D<br />
<br />
I haven't had those problems. it seems to work for me.<br />
Originally posted by T-ball <br />
Strangely, K-meleon (Gecko rendering engine from Mozilla) doesn't like my pages either, even though W3C approves them...<br />
<br />
now let me get this straight. you went to a rendering engine to check your code when that engine doesn't even support half of the CSS2 code? that is like writing strictly for Netscape... :D<br />
<br />
and yes 3:49am is really early for me too.<br />
<br />
show us some code and we will see if it is just you or not..<!--content-->Yes, I also don't seem to have any problems between IE5.0 5.5 and 6. Perhaps you tried to rely to heavily on the CSS?<br />
<br />
Personally I use a mixture of css, but usually link to the same external style sheet. Since older netscape doesn't support inline styles, I tend to avoid them. <br />
<br />
Again, if you post code we can help.<!--content-->http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnie60/html/cssenhancements.asp<!--content-->Well, sorry for any misunderstanding, but the "bad trend" I refered to was that I myself find the answers to my questions too quickly after I post them, and then feel guilty if I don't tell everyone about it so that you don't waste your time trying to answer something I already know.<br />
<br />
Anyway, I found out why padding and margins where ignored from time to time... apparently I had to explicitlt state that I wanted block display in order to be able to use them properly (they look alright now, but interact funny when you have javascript on them... some blocks overlap, which was not my intentions... but since padding and margin effects doesn't seem consistent to me, I must use both...).<br />
Gues CSS was trickier than I initially thought!<!--content-->

Back