IE vs Netscape textarea width

Is there anyway to get Netscape to display textareas at a decent width? I have to scrunch textareas down to cols=40 more or less so they don't go past the edge of the screen (800 x 600) with Netscape 6 but then they are too narrow looking for IE users. Whats a person to do? Any suggestions?<!--content-->my word this is a first... a guru asking us lackeys for help ;) <br />
<br />
Never fear I am deep in the depths of my wizards tower searching the for html spell you require... will post a reply as soon as I have questioned the holy oracle.<!--content-->Resize Form Elements (<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://javascript.internet.com/forms/resize-form-elements.html">http://javascript.internet.com/forms/re ... ments.html</a><!-- m -->) This is one solution, but I have a vague memory (like all my memories these days) of trying it and finding that it wasn't the perfect solution it claims to be.<br />
<br />
I managed to get around the problem fairly well (at least as near as I can see) on my site using some CSS to define the fonts used in textareas. I won't spam here, but if you want to see it, it's in my profile. <br />
<br />
Anyway, I used something along the lines of:.box {<br />
font-family: Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;<br />
font-size: 10pt;<br />
border: 2px solid #28578f;<br />
} I'd add that I have a seperate stylesheet for Netscape 4.xx that reads .box {<br />
font-family: "Courier New", Courier, monospace;<br />
font-size: 10pt;<br />
}Hope this helps at least a little.<br />
<br />
Neil<!--content-->Kevin,<br />
<br />
I typically use a width: 200px or somthing similar in the style sheet for textareas, textfields, and selects. I know that you can specify a width in columns... but the difference in IE and N is too large.<!--content-->Kevin, Neil was close to what you want.<br />
<br />
all you can do is make IE look like NS (to a point)<br />
<br />
<textarea style="font-family:monospace"></textarea><br />
<br />
not pretty but it somewhat works. that is as close as you will get I think.<!--content-->thanks for all the replies/suggestions, I will try each and see which offers the best solution.<!--content-->Ackk I was beaten to a reply. Spent some time looking through some old books, CSS never crossed my mind, but it should have I guess straight away... Well I learn't somthing here as well.<!--content-->THanks entimp. CSS will be the way to go, like this forum script writes a different value for the cols= attribute depending on the browser, for Netscape its cols=40 and for IE its cols=60<!--content-->actually NS4.7 is 50 instead of 40, well at least it was for me :)<br />
<br />
but that is strange adn I will check into that. might jsut come in handy for my site.<!--content-->however, if you include width: 200px in the style tag you should be able to get around the difference. I use that when I have to hit IE5.0, 5.5 and 6 which all seem to display different widths.... even in IE.<!--content-->Originally posted by Dr. Web <br />
however, if you include width: 200px in the style tag you should be able to get around the difference. I use that when I have to hit IE5.0, 5.5 and 6 which all seem to display different widths.... even in IE. I must admit I hadn't thought of that one. I'll have to give it a whirl.<br />
<br />
Who knows it might even be a better solution that the one I suggested.<br />
<br />
Neil<br />
<br />
PS: When I say "might even be a better solution" I actually mean "knowing Dr Web, it will more than likely be a far better solution"<!--content-->

Back