I wouldn't EXACTLY say I'm an idiot...but

admin

Administrator
Staff member
I know that I have gotten in WAYYYYY over my head, especially since I know absolutely nothing about publishing a website, but here I am. I've spent the last few days trying to understand HTML, JavaScript and other words I never thought I would use, to say I'm a bit overwhelmed is an understatement.<br />
<br />
My problem is this: I have Microsoft FrontPage and I have figured out how to use it (templates are wonderful things), however, I am still lost when it comes to this FTPing thing. My ISP, Bellsouth, while it does not support FrontPage extensions, will accept it as I've created it with the extension changes. However, I'm lost when it comes to transfering my website to the personal web page supplied by my ISP.<br />
<br />
I'm sure that to all you who know this stuff like the back of your hands probably think I'm a complete idiot, I've worked on computers for years, just never in this compacity. The website I'm trying to establish is for my high school reunion in July.<br />
<br />
Anyone who feels like helping would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.<!--content-->Your ISP should have given you a FTP address, userid and default password. Assuming that you don't have an FTP client, the easiest way is probably to fire up IE and enter the FTP address. You should then be prompted for the userid and password. Then open an Explorer window on your PC and find the files you've created; highlight and drag them to the IE window.<!--content-->That should work; but I suggest that you not use FrontPage; I know that it makes things 'easy' but sites written using FrontPage usually only work in Internet Explorer (if they work at all) :) It is my opinion that the best way to learn is to handcode the site in notepad; atleast that way you learn what all the tags are used for. That's the way that I learned :)<!--content-->3 simple words:<br />
frontpage is crap<!--content-->Technically, thats 4 words :P<br />
<br />
I personally dont like Front Page. I've had the displeasure of reworking someones Front Page generated page. Ranks snuggly between a discount root canal with the generic anesthetic thats 'just as good as that name brand stuff' and being forced to play Stella in the prison shower reinactment of "A Street Car Named Desire".<br />
<br />
In truth I haven't seen the code it generates in several versions, but typical Microsoft generated HTML is grossly bloated. From disturbingly large headers, I suspect these to form some diabolical AI bent on world domination once enough Front Page sites have been distributed, to fanatically controlled formatting that would bring pride to Stalin and the former Soviet Republic.<br />
<br />
But if this is for your high school reunion, my advice to you. Go for it. I mean you already sprung the what 150 bucks for the brightly adorned box and matching coaster. Just dont use any of the proprietary Front Page extensions that will require that you to host it on a Front Page server. Or you could take the gamble and ask your service provider to add Front Page to their server as it was my understanding that Microsoft freely distributes the server code. And the best part. If you get that smug guy, 'oh I could have did alot better'. Hand him the keys and say, 'well why dont you just fix that up then, thanks'.<br />
<br />
If you are seriously planning more then the high school reunion site, bag Front Page though.<!--content-->^^^^^^^^ I could not have put it better myself :) ^^^^^^^^^^^^<!--content-->Just wanted to say thanks to each of you for giving me your help and feedback. You have no idea how much you've helped me out.<br />
<br />
I tried to work with FrontPage most of the day yesterday and you're right although some of the themes/templates were relatively easy to fill in, actually getting them onto my ISP server and being able to actually move and add/delete pages was nearly impossible.<br />
<br />
Maybe I'll just dive into the thought of writing my own in Notepad as suggested. I already have a basic website online I just wanted it to be flashy.<br />
<br />
In any event, thanks again to everyone. You're all great for not making me feel completely stupid.<br />
<br />
debbie<!--content-->I'm surprised that no one has suggested this yet, but there are numerous free FTP applications that would make transferring and/or deleting files very simple. I use FileZilla, but there are several out there, and I'm sure other forum members can volunteer the names (I've never used anything else, so am not sure of the other names).<br />
<br />
As previously stated, you do need to know the FTP address (usually just your domain name without the www) and the user ID/password combination (you would have already determined that when you opened your account). Sounds like you do have that info, so you should be good to go, but a dedicated FTP app would make your job much simpler.<!--content-->I'm surprised that no one has suggested this yet I would have, but you beat me to it... :D Just swung by after a action-packed weekend.<br />
I've been using SmartFTP before, which pretty well does the trick, but if you google for "free ftp client" there should be plenty of options to chose from.<!--content-->It still amazes me how great you guys have been. I was afraid I would look like such a fool. I've finally learned enough to at least change the basics and I've even started looking into Java (although I have NEVER been able to comprehend math and from what I can tell, I need that skill for Java). Right now, the only thing I know about Java is that I like mine from Starbucks.<br />
<br />
Thanks again guys, you're all wonderful! Hugs and kisses!Have a great day.<!--content-->Originally posted by rebbieday <br />
It still amazes me how great you guys have been. I was afraid I would look like such a fool. <br />
Not to worry. We're all Bozos on this bus. :cool:<!--content-->A good free FTP client is Ace FTP (<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://freeware.aceftp.com/">http://freeware.aceftp.com/</a><!-- m -->). I use Ace all the time, and never have any trouble with it.<!--content-->to add a couple more, dreamweaver's ftp has worked for me, but for all my non-business work i use filezilla (<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://filezilla.sourceforge.net/">http://filezilla.sourceforge.net/</a><!-- m -->). it's pretty simple. <br />
<crap type="cheesy/ad">it worked for me, it can work for you! </crap<!--content-->That's 2 for FileZilla!<!--content-->

Back