I NEED ALL OPINIONS!!! (topic: frames)

windows

Hello to all, please offer any insight or personal experiences. My company is considering changing their site layout to incorporate frames. I really like the new layout, but have heard some negative things about frames. Can everyone please offer their pros and cons to frames? (ie, are they cross-browser compatible?) Thanks to all.<br />
Ryan<!--content-->- Users cannot bookmark specific pages<br />
- Not search engine friendly<!--content-->Frames can be restrictive and a lot of people dislike them (I have the same way with the sun visor in car.. It is just not the same as when I can see out through the entire front window). <br />
<br />
If you need frames only to create navigation then I suggest look into another solution, such as cascading menus which get incorporated through external libraries or server side scripts. I don't think navigation alone justifies frames.<br />
<br />
However, sometimes frames are good because you may want to view individual pages while maintaining some key functionality. One example is proof reading of manuals. The different manuscripts for the writers are submitted in individual pages which are loaded into a frame and then you use the buttons around the frame (such as highlighters etc) to make changes to their text.<br />
<br />
Iframes are preferred to old style frames.<!--content-->

Back