I haven't seen much about this important aspect of layout.

liunx

Hey everyone. I would like to share something that recently came to my attention when trying to make my website accessible to everyone. <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.copperheadwd.com">http://www.copperheadwd.com</a><!-- m --> I originally designed my website using CSS with all the divisions using absolute positioning and size values. The website was designed on my browsers(Netscape 7.0 and IE 6.0) while the text size was set to medium in the preferences. Yesterday I tried setting the text size to the largest value to see what would happen. As the plumber on the television commercial would say, "Holy Moly"! Everything was bunched on top of each other. The "overflow: auto" was set to fix most of it but I was wondering if I should leave out the width and height values in the divisions. Wouldn't this let the tables automatically adjust to fit the content? I will probably use tables in conjunction with CSS on my next site since this seems to be what everyone else is doing. Thanks for your time. :D<!--content-->actually this comes up a lot. you will need to use percentages in all your widths and heights an set your text size to be permanent with pt instead of px. I think I got those right.<br />
<br />
again, you can't please everyone :)<!--content-->Setting the text size permanently is exactly what I need for the bottom division that is somewhat of an advertisement. I remember the "pt" for setting text size but I thought it was the same as px for pixel. It makes since now - pt=permanent. Thanks Scoutt.:rocker:<!--content-->pt = points<br />
<br />
This is the format used by typesetters and still follows same rules on the web. 72pt = 1 inch, so 36pt = 1/2 an inch.<br />
<br />
There are 12 points in 1 Pica, and 6 Picas to the Inch.<br />
<br />
Not sure if that helps.<!--content-->Thanks for the enlightenment Entimp. I noticed that a lot of people use pt for font size in their sites but I will use it in mine for obvious reasons. I just need to remember that one inch equals 72pts. By the way Entimp, I thought you were from the UK. Aren't UK citizens more concerned with the metric system instead of inches? :D<!--content-->I wouldn't worry about inches, you will mostly use 10 and 12 as anything over that is too big, unless you want it that way.<!--content-->Scoutt not so worried about inches, just pointing out the historical significance of inches and typesetting.<br />
<br />
Derek02 I am from UK... we have such a strange system. The continent is more metric we still do miles over here and Km is not recognised at all really, although this is changing. Most of the country gets in a tiff over EC regulations about buying potatoes in Kilos when we would prefer to buy them in pounds. Strange but true.<!--content-->

Back