I can't get the tables right

liunx

you guys have offered great help in the past, so here it goes again.<br />
<br />
my home page is <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.modpages.com">www.modpages.com</a><!-- w --><br />
<br />
if you look at it, it is just a giant table split into 3 columns with the left being a navagation bar, center used for site news, and the left for features. what i am trying to do is use the same template but get rid of the center and right columns and just make it into one. the problem is getting the information in the cloumn to center. the two pages to use for examples are:<br />
<br />
<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.modpages.com/404.htm">www.modpages.com/404.htm</a><!-- w --> -i can't get the body centered<br />
<br />
<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.modpages.com/halflife.htm">www.modpages.com/halflife.htm</a><!-- w --> -i have inserted the extra column to create a space but te background picture overlaps and just looks plain ugly.<br />
<br />
any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.<!--content-->I'm pretty sure the problem is in this line:<br />
<br />
<td align="right" valign="top" width="470"><br />
<br />
the width attribute will prevent the tables with the 404 error message from getting past that position (470 pixels from the left of the start point of the data cell).<br />
Remove the width attribute and watch what happens to the table with the 404 error message. You will need to adjust some of your many alingment tags/attributes to get it centered but once you remove or change the value of the width attribute in the line above I think you'll see what is going on.<br />
<br />
Regards,<br />
Kevin<!--content-->The pages look OK to me as is. I suggest getting rid of the message in the status bar on the half life page, that is really obnoxious. I want to see what the status of the page is, especially when passing the mouse over hyperlinks, not your message. <br />
<br />
BTW, I just finished playing Half Life (game of the year version), it was a really entertaining game. I made it through all levels and beat the big boss at the end without resorting to cheat codes or walk throughs. I did make generous use of the save game option however.... :D<br />
<br />
Regards,<br />
Kevin<!--content-->thanks i got it in a better placee now so that i can modify the width better. but as you can see it still won't center. is this just gonna take some playing around? i apprecite your help. oh..yeah i got rid of that script. it was on all of the pages and then i tried to kill it because i just couldnt take it anymore. i guess i missed a couple. <br />
<br />
Congratulations is in order i belive. i still have not beaten the game as long as i've had it...almost 6 months. but i have been distracted by online play and the mods for it (but it is the topic of my web site so i like to call it work. i'm 16 so it's an excuse to my parents). you should try some of the mods. i reccomend counter-strike and frontline force; both of which just had recent releases of updates.<br />
<br />
any more suggestions?<br />
thanks<!--content-->Like I said you will need to adjust all those alingments you have....but I'll bet if you just change align=right to align=center in the same line I showed in my previous post it might just center itself.....<br />
<br />
Thanks for the heads up on the mods.... I will give them a look when I have time.<br />
<br />
Regards,<br />
Kevin....errr...Gordon Freeman :D<!--content-->

Back